Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Weight of water? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/weight-water-19541/)

SinCrisis 12-03-2008 01:59 AM

Weight of water?

Just out of curiosity, how often is floor integrity an issue when buying a fish tank? I dont know much about houses but i want to get a nice 55 gallon tank and sumone told me each gallon is 8 pounds, making the 55 gallon tank 440 pounds plus the stand, gravel, rocks, etc. I feel like that would top the tank off at almost 500 pounds and am worried about the floor. I know it might sound foolish, but its a concern thats been bothering me.

kevinpn 12-03-2008 09:25 AM

Ive heard 10 pounds per gallon is a good rule. That normally includes water tank stand etc.

Nudist 12-03-2008 09:45 AM

i look at it this way, floors in your house are "normally" built strong enough to hold water beds with 2 people in them. i had a king size water bed until about 2 years ago and together my wife and i weigh close to 400 lbs and never had a problem with the floor and that was in our old double wide trailer. unless you live in a house that is falling down i wouldnt think you would have any problems with a 55gal tank.

Steve

SinCrisis 12-03-2008 12:01 PM

Its just the thought that i would be having half a ton of weight in one small area worried me.

SinCrisis 12-03-2008 12:02 PM

Thanks though nudist that helps a lot

FuzzAz 12-04-2008 12:17 PM

YES it can be an issue! But not really for a 55 gal. On a modern day house where the floor is a poured slab, the weight is pretty much unlimited on the bottom floor. Many houses are NOT designed to have a water bed on a second story floor. Infact this was a problem when waterbeds became very popular in the 70s (or so I have heard). Some houses are built stronger spisificially to allow a waterbed on the second floor but that is at the option of the builder. That said, waterbeds often weigh a ton (2000 lbs.) or more. I would not worry too much about a 55 gal, but it is a good idea to place the tank near a load bearing wall.

Tyyrlym 12-04-2008 12:35 PM

500 pounds is actually a quarter ton. Don't get overly concerned about the weight. Your 55 gallon tank has a ground pressure of approximately 125 pounds per square foot. Would you be worried about four guys standing shoulder to shoulder in one spot in your place? If not the tank isn't a concern either. If you're worried about the pressure of the legs lemme put it this way. I have a 55 gallon tank stand. Under the legs I put a 5x5in wooden foot for the metal leg to rest on. The total ground pressure under each leg is right about 5 pounds per square inch. Unless you'd feel nervous about your floor collapsing if someone stood on one foot then the tank is not likely going to be a problem.

If you're really paranoid you can find out how the joists in your floor run and set the aqaurium perpendicular to them so it crosses as many as possible, but I don't really think it's a problem for something like a 55 gallon tank.

SinCrisis 12-06-2008 02:07 AM

Cool thanks a bunch guys, this makes me feel a lot better about getting this tank.

kritas 12-06-2008 03:15 AM

The metric system is actually much better to measure weight vs. amount...

One litre of water, is One kilogram... This is not the same for all liquids... Obviously lol...

xcracer 12-07-2008 10:21 PM

beet me to it kritas i was about to say the same thing.. 1gallon is 3.78 KG (8.3 lbs) so 3.78 x 55(gallons) = 208.1KG (458.9 pounds)

so in the end not really that heavy but very much easier to just use google to convert gallons to liters and KG to pounds