Tropical Fish Keeping banner

I am overrun

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  daisycutter 
#1 ·
I bought a plant and now all of my pretty driftwood is COVERED in snails, even cleaning the gravel they were EVERYWHERE is there any way to get rid of the typical not cool overbreeding pests?

#2 ·
1. Restrict food supply.
2. Manual removal and lettuce baiting.
3. Assassin snails. Let me know if you want some of these. They tend to be $3.99 each but I know some people who sell them.

#4 ·
They're labeled scientifically as Anentome helena. Juveniles tend to be shyer than the adults so they may bury themselves underground for days. They are however predatory relishing pond snails, MTS and ramshorns. They usually go for snails smaller than them. These are not prolific but do lay individual eggs around the tank.

#5 ·
Lettuce baiting works well. Just place a piece on the bottom after lights out, and they will come from everywhere, just pick it up and dispose of them. You will have to do it several times though, but it does work. If you had the room a couple of Loaches would make short change of them also.:-D

#7 ·
i use a small tupperware tub with hole in the lid and algea wafers to catch trumpet snails its very good at catching large numbers of them to keep there population down i put the hole down so they crawl up into it and fish cant get in should work up the other way for normal snails

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.