Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Vivariums and Reptiles (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/)
-   -   bearded dragon hardly eating (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/bearded-dragon-hardly-eating-19521/)

briang 12-01-2008 11:06 PM

bearded dragon hardly eating

A girl had this dragon for 4 years. She just got married and was moving to Australia and can't bring the dragon so for a couple months she tried but couldn't give it away. Last year it became impacted by eating a cats fur ball. She spent$2,500.00 on the operation. As a last resort I told her I would take it. I have alot of experience with snakes but none with this, As I went to pick it up, she informed me that it wasn't eating much for the past week. I told her that I love animals and would do my best for it but if it came down to it, there is no way that I could afford a huge vet bill for a lizard. She said she understood. Well it's been 2 weeks since I've had it and I figure it has only eaten about 6 super worms and maybe 10 crickets. I have the chopped greens and veggies in the cage, yes, fresh daily and also the pellet dragon food, both wet and a few dry. He doesn't touch it. Today I tried to get a spoon into it's mouth to feed him but when he fought me and I saw how hard he chompped the spoon, I figured I still needed my fingers and gave up. She told me to keep the warm side of the 75 gal. tank at 85 degrees and the cool side about 70 degrees. I knew that that was too cool so I keep the warm side at 100 to 105 degrees and the cool side is about 70 degrees. I'm probably going to have to bring him to his Vet. this week at a cost of $90.00 just for the exam. If they tell me that it will cost a fortune to make her well, I just can't. ANY!! suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Brian:cry:

willow 12-02-2008 04:45 AM

hi
poor dragon :( has he got a UV light in with him,if not then he needs it,
the food needs dusting with vitamin powder too.
he needs a basking area of i think 105f(don't quote me though as my knowlage is thin)and at this time of year some may be going onto brumation,kind of hibernation,so they won't / shouldn't eat much.
i don't think anyone here has got a dragon,so this link will be
of major help to you.
Bearded Dragon . org
join this web site,and you will see the tremdous help it will give you.
the members there are very nice,and they will help you.
good luck,please let me know how you get on. :)

briang 12-02-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 155439)
hi
poor dragon :( has he got a UV light in with him,if not then he needs it,
the food needs dusting with vitamin powder too.
he needs a basking area of i think 105f(don't quote me though as my knowlage is thin)and at this time of year some may be going onto brumation,kind of hibernation,so they won't / shouldn't eat much.
i don't think anyone here has got a dragon,so this link will be
of major help to you.
Bearded Dragon . org
join this web site,and you will see the tremdous help it will give you.
the members there are very nice,and they will help you.
good luck,please let me know how you get on. :)

Thankyou soooo much!!! I'm going to check it out now. Happy holidays to you and your family.:cheers:

willow 12-03-2008 09:27 AM

hi
i'm so glad i was able to help you.
wishing you and your family happy holidays too. :-D
if at some stage you could post a picture it would be wonderful.
i have been debating on keeping a dragon,however i don't think
in all honesty now i would be able to provide the proper care at this time.
looks to be a future project.
i wish you well
:)

willow 04-16-2009 04:31 PM

hi
i know this was a while back,however i was wondering how you ever got on ?

coldplaying 05-28-2009 04:59 PM

I'm wondering what happened to the dragon??? Did he/she make it???