Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   More quarantine tank questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/more-quarantine-tank-questions-195201/)

RackinRocky 06-01-2013 05:24 PM

More quarantine tank questions

I have a quarantine tank with filter and heater ready to go. I haven't added water or started the filter yet. Can I just add some media from my cycled tank to the sponge filter in the quarantine tank? Will it cycle quickly? How long does it take to cycle with the used media? And how long until I should add fish? Thank you.

Romad 06-01-2013 05:35 PM

That's typically what I do and you're going to be doing pretty frequent water changes in a QT tank so you probably won't have too much to worry about as far as ammonia build up. I have a 10 gal. that I use for QT/hospital and change most of the water every other day. That's worked out really well for me so far.

What size tank and how many fish are you going to add to it?

RackinRocky 06-01-2013 07:54 PM

Its a size large Kritter Keeper. I discovered it holds 4.5 gallons of water. I was thinking it would be closer to 3, and was worried about it. Still too small, I know, but it was the least expensive way to go. I'm going to be getting 2-3 guppies, and after they are quarantined, a blue rainbow fish. I hope they'll be alright in there for a couple of weeks. How long should I run the filter before buying the fish? THANKS!

Romad 06-01-2013 08:24 PM

That is kind of small. Run the filter for at least a day before adding anything. You're going to have to be diligent about checking the water. I don't think you'll have a magically cycled tank with the filter medium you're going to use but you can stay on top of it with lots of water changes.

I'd have some Seachem Prime on hand to use in case you do get an ammonia spike. Do you have any live plants that you can throw in there?

Tolak 06-01-2013 09:20 PM

The cycling, if any on the smaller tank will depend on the stocking of the donor tank as well as how much media you take from it. I see no problem with that size container for a few guppys short term.

RackinRocky 06-01-2013 11:12 PM

I'll be sure to check the water with my API kit daily, and do large water changes every other day. I do have, and use, Prime. I thought I'd have to run the filter longer than that! That's good news! I'll take a pretty good hunk of filter media out of my 20 gallon, which has Kuhli loaches, otos and guppies in it. Its a well established tank.

Romad 06-02-2013 06:13 AM

Sounds like a plan. Good luck :)

Byron 06-02-2013 11:05 AM

This is a situation where I would also use a bacterial supplement. Tetra's SafeStart, Seachem's Stability, or perhaps best of all is Dr. Tim's One and Only. These three do work and they quicken the establishment of nitrifying bacteria. Dr. Hovanec says his product will instantly cycle period. I've never used it, but I wouldn't argue with someone of that caliber. Anyway, one of these can't do any harm and will do some good.

Byron.

jaysee 06-02-2013 11:33 AM

Dr. Tim developed BioSpira back in the day - the first bacteria in a bottle. That was later bought by tetramin and changed to TSS. He then went out on his own and came out with One and Only, among other products. Just a little history.

RackinRocky 06-02-2013 12:49 PM

I'll have to see if I can find that. Never heard of it before.