Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Filters for Two possible tanks? Help? Suggestions? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/filters-two-possible-tanks-help-suggestions-19512/)

GuppyColorMaker 12-01-2008 03:27 PM

Filters for Two possible tanks? Help? Suggestions?

I have had hints dropped onto me by my mom that I am either getting a 10 gallon or a 29 gallon. An ideas on filters? If I would get a 10gal, I was looking at some filters, and heaters, any advice on heaters or Filters? My LFS is Walmart(fish supplies) and Petco(fish/fish supplies).

Tyyrlym 12-02-2008 06:37 AM

If you get a ten gallon then you've got some wildly different options. An air driven sponge filter, small internal filter, or small hang on back would be options for you. A sponge filter works just fine for biological filtration and some mechanical but the flow isn't huge so you'd have to do a lot of vaccuming to keep your tank clean. A real downside is that unless you already have an airpump that can support it the sponge filter can wind up being the most expensive option here. An internal filter will keep your tank well filtered but take up valuable room. A hang on back will do an excellent job of filtration but be pretty powerful in that small of a tank. Personally I'd go with a Penguin 100 hang on back powerfilter and just not keep fish that like still water.

For the 29 gallon the best bet in my opinion is a hang on back, either an Emperor 280 or a Penguin 200.

GuppyColorMaker 12-02-2008 06:25 PM

Thanks for your advice, I'll see what I can find!

GuppyColorMaker 12-03-2008 10:22 PM

Hehe, i've officially made the dicision to take a death hunt untill I find the Penguin Filter everyone keeps reccomending. Just a small update!! :tongue:

iamntbatman 12-03-2008 10:47 PM

Penguin filters shouldn't be hard to find at all. Most any LFS will carry them. I'm pretty sure Petsmart carries them still, but don't quote me on that.

What do you plan in putting in the tanks? That's really the most important thing when it comes to choosing filtration.

Tyyrlym 12-04-2008 12:24 PM

Petsmart does have them. I'm in there about once every two weeks and they usually stock a couple of each size Penguin and both Emperors.

aquatramp 12-06-2008 05:34 AM

Better start giving some serious hints to mom that you'd like the bigger tank so you have more stocking options. If you get the kit, the filter will come with it. Depending on your stocking level, may be sufficient.

Oldman47 12-15-2008 07:12 PM

If you are getting the 29, the Rena XP1 is a very nice filter that runs so quietly you end up putting your hand on the canister to make sure it's running.