Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Restocking 10 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/restocking-10-gallon-19485/)

SolaceTiger 11-29-2008 11:41 PM

Restocking 10 gallon

Okay, so anyone who has read my threads here probably know that I just stocked my 30 gallon after letting it cycle for about a month. So, now that leaves my 10 gallon empty. I took everything out of the 10 gallon tank, water, gravel, EVERYTHING and put it all back in my other 10 gallon that wasn't falling apart sealant wise. :P

So now I have an empty 10 gallon again, and I'm contemplating what to put in it. I think platys would look really nice.

I have just darker natural colored gravel, a fake amazon sword plant, and some other fake plants, and this particular piece of decor. Top Fin® Layered Flat Stone - Décor - Fish - PetSmart Plus a nice backround.

I think the platys would look beautiful against the colors I have in there, but I'm interested in any other suggestions you can give me. My water is a ph of 8.2 and I know that may limit my options. Guppies are okay, but I'm just not as keen on them as alot of you I suspect are. xD Mollies I think would prefer a bigger tank as well. Would like suggestions for fish, a centerpiece fish, and bottom dwellers. :) Thanks!

Cody 11-29-2008 11:50 PM

Well, I'll tell you what I'm going to do with my 10 when its empty.

Simple setup, so I have time for it when I have a big reef. I'm just doing bettas. I'm gonig to have 3 spaces seperated by 2 dividers. On the outside spaces, they will be 2 gallons each and include 1 male betta (so 2 total in the tank) with possibly 1 African Dwarf Frog in each. In the middle 6 gallon, I will have 3 female bettas with plenty of hiding areas, with a mystery snail.

But, you probably want something different if you understanded that. :-)

Centerpiece: Maybe a Ram?
Bottom: Cories
Others: Cardinal Tetras?

The 10G may be a bit on teh small size, but I've seen it done. You could do the one ram, with 3 cories and 5-7 Cardinals.

iamntbatman 11-30-2008 12:48 AM

You could always go for something more unique! How about a pair (or even small colony of a male and 2-3 females) of dwarf shelldwellers, like Lamprologus ocellatus or Lamprologus multifasciatus? It would be a really simple setup: play sand, a simple HOB filter with a bag of crushed coral thrown in, a couple of escargot or murex shells (murex shells are available at craft stores like Michaels) and maybe some rocks for decor. They're really interesting little guys with really funny behavior.

SolaceTiger 11-30-2008 01:25 AM

I would, but it needs to be something that will go with the setup I've described, since everything is cycled, just basically switched tanks.

Cody, isn't a ph of 8.2 a bit high for cardinals? They seem a bit more sensitive I've noticed even if acclimated right,

iamntbatman 11-30-2008 01:31 AM

You could still do the shelldwellers in that tank. Just get a piece of acrylic or plexiglass that's the width of the tank and as tall as your gravel is deep and shove it down in the gravel so that it makes a strip of gravel along the back of the tank. Stick the fake plants in there, and replace the gravel in front of this divider with sand (a bag of play sand will only cost you about $4 at Home Depot). Stick that rock ornament somewhere in the tank - it'll be a perfect substitute for the rocks I described. Then just scatter the shells around the tank and add the fish. Either of those fish I described should be really easy to keep and will probably breed for you. You've already got the high pH they prefer. If your water is hard, that's great too. They'll eat just about anything.

Cody 11-30-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolaceTiger (Post 155090)
I would, but it needs to be something that will go with the setup I've described, since everything is cycled, just basically switched tanks.

Cody, isn't a ph of 8.2 a bit high for cardinals? They seem a bit more sensitive I've noticed even if acclimated right,

Oops, I forgot about that. Scratch that idea.

I really cannot think of anything ATM. Give me a little bit, and I'm sure I can figure out something. :-)

SolaceTiger 12-17-2008 05:33 PM

So I decided on livebearers. Got females that didn't look prego. xD 2 female fancy guppies, 1 female swordtail, and 3 platys.. the third platy is silver.. so I'm not sure if it's an actual platy or some hybrid. :) Is there any chance I could keep some sort of shrimp in the tank? Would they be eaten?

I also might set up my 5 gallon again and get a pea puffer. They have them at the LFS right now, and oh my gosh I nearly fell in love and had to get one on the spot, but that wouldn't have been wise since I have nowhere to put em. :P

MBilyeu 12-18-2008 01:02 AM

I don't know if you can fit it in there, but an american flagfish would look good and be able to handle the ph.

Lupin 12-22-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody (Post 155080)
In the middle 6 gallon, I will have 3 female bettas with plenty of hiding areas, with a mystery snail.

Not going to work. Bettas tend to pick on their antennaes and eyes despite the snails' ability to regenerate anything they lose but constant harassments will eventually kill the snail. Also, it is your job to provide them calcium. Calcium dosing can alter the water chemistry which can affect your bettas badly. Most bettas are prone to finrot in hard water compared to soft water.

Tyyrlym 12-23-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 155092)
You could still do the shelldwellers in that tank. Just get a piece of acrylic or plexiglass that's the width of the tank and as tall as your gravel is deep and shove it down in the gravel so that it makes a strip of gravel along the back of the tank. Stick the fake plants in there, and replace the gravel in front of this divider with sand (a bag of play sand will only cost you about $4 at Home Depot). Stick that rock ornament somewhere in the tank - it'll be a perfect substitute for the rocks I described. Then just scatter the shells around the tank and add the fish. Either of those fish I described should be really easy to keep and will probably breed for you. You've already got the high pH they prefer. If your water is hard, that's great too. They'll eat just about anything.

Wow... I really like this idea.

My wife is going to hate it when I tell her I know what I'm doing AFTER the 55 gallon cichlid tank that I've just started to putter with.