Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Aquarium Safe Silicone (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/aquarium-safe-silicone-19472/)

karaim 11-29-2008 02:14 PM

Aquarium Safe Silicone

Does anyone know if I can get aquarium safe silicone in Home Depot? I am making a sump and want to buy some for the baffles. I know it's available online, but I don't want to wait that long.

Thanks.

Nudist 11-29-2008 02:39 PM

yes you can, Window & Door silicone will work, just make sure it dont have mildew resistant in it.

Steve

Cody 11-29-2008 02:48 PM

GE Silicone II is what you want.

wake49 11-29-2008 09:40 PM

GE Silicone II has the mildew resitance in it. GE calls it the *Bioseal*. IMO this would be harmful to coraline algaes and other beneficial bacterias, inhibiting their survival.

I used GE I in the construction of my sump, although it hasn't been used yet, I am still waiting on my overflow and pump.

Cody 11-29-2008 10:44 PM

There is no difference between the GE Silicone II with or without mildew resistance. I had to do some research while using silicone for my reptile, and on reptile forums people had called up GE and asked. There is no difference.

I don't even remember seeing some without the resistance.

wake49 11-30-2008 09:42 PM

GE Silicone II is only offered with"Bioseal", which is mold and mildew resistance. I work in a hardware store and usually suggest people buy the GE II because of the mildew resistance. The only reason I suggest that GE Silicone I when it comes to I wouldn't put midewcide in my aquarium.

GE Silicone I does not come with the "Bioseal", and doesn't offer mold and mildew resistance.

I attached the website to GE: Waterproof Silicone

onefish2fish 12-01-2008 12:58 AM

spend $5 and get aqaurium safe silicone.

its 5 bucks and its safe for sure, i know other things work but $5 isnt much for a for sure tube of silicone. just my opinion

wake49 12-01-2008 11:21 AM

yeah. i can agree only because this is the problem i went through when i was trying to figure it out. I actually glued up the sump with GE Silicone II, then read online that the Bioseal was bad news. I dismantled the entire sump and put it back togther with Silicone I.

With the time I wasted gluing and re-gluing, I would've had the aquarium safe silicone.

I know that originally time was an issue. I think that PETCO has Aquarium Safe Silicone.

SKAustin 12-03-2008 10:33 PM

Both Home Depot and Lowes carry an "Aquarium Safe" silicone. It's made by DAP. It comes in a gray and black tube, and is called "DAP Aquariums, Aquarium Sealant 100% Silicone". It cost about $3 per tube and you will need 1 or 2 tubes depending on your project size. You'll find it within the rest of the silicone products at either store.

kevender 11-27-2011 08:30 AM

All clear silicone is safe,,,,theres no such thing as "aquarium safe"...its a gimmick,,,,,just read label,,,,it must be anti-mildew and anti-bact, and wait 72hrs,,,,another good rule is till ya cant smell silicone....just wait,,,ya wanna do this once,,,Peace