Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   pop belly channel cat (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/pop-belly-channel-cat-1945/)

critter_keeper 12-19-2006 11:22 PM

pop belly channel cat

I have two little channel cats that I was going to raise out then put in my coy pond. anyhow one has gotten really fat in its belly. It looks like its gonna pop. Could it be full of eggs?its not very old at all only about 4 inches at the most. If not is it possible it ate sand? I'm worried about my little friend here. :?: :?: :?:

Lupin 12-19-2006 11:29 PM

Could be the following factors:
1. Dropsy
Bloated abdomen along with eyes popping out of the socket and protrusion of scales. Cure may not be possible. Poor water quality is often the cause for dropsy.
2. Constipation
Happens more often when your fish is quite greedy. Green peas will help.
3. Presence of Intestinal Parasites
White, stringy poo is another sign. Metronidazole which is a mild treatment will often work to get rid of these parasites.

critter_keeper 12-20-2006 07:20 AM

I found the problem I think. I had a great big apple snail in the tank and now its just a snail and the fishies belly has gone down alot. I just over reacted I guess. lol thanks for the info I love this site.

Lupin 12-20-2006 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by critter_keeper
I found the problem I think. I had a great big apple snail in the tank and now its just a snail and the fishies belly has gone down alot. I just over reacted I guess. lol thanks for the info I love this site.

At least, you got some valuable information on your thread.:thumbsup:

jsm11482 12-20-2006 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by critter_keeper

I don't understand....so what was the actual issue?

Nick 12-20-2006 01:15 PM

The fish ate the snail from the shell. So since he ate the big snail, therefor he had a big stomach for awhile until he digested it. Correct ?

jsm11482 12-20-2006 01:41 PM

thats what i thought but the wording seemed strange.

critter_keeper 12-20-2006 03:30 PM

I put snail instead of shell, sorry. Yeah I think it ate the snail.

Gump 12-22-2006 01:03 AM

Catfish show there full "bellys" well dont be alarmed its normal. As for adding the channels to a koi pond hopefully your koi are very large as well as the pond. when channels get big they get aggressive and territorial.

FunkWeasel 12-22-2006 07:40 PM

i have cought channel cats that are almost round. im sure its fine.