Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   ghost knife (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/ghost-knife-19422/)

ghosty 11-26-2008 03:39 PM

ghost knife

i was wondering how do i tell if my ghost knife is healthy, ive had him/her for a week and its coming out to eat but otherwise hides, i have 2 skunk botias have a bit of a nusance i don't want them picking on my knife, is there anyway i can tell if this is happening.

Cody 11-26-2008 06:01 PM

We need some more information.

In general, Ghosts are healthy if they are very rich in color, coming out and eating a lot. I take it this is a Black Ghost knife, correct?

Could you tell us the tank size?
Size of the Ghost?
Other tank inhabitants?

Generally not a problem now, but it may be eventually if something is wrong.

iamntbatman 11-26-2008 07:48 PM

The skunk loaches are known to be pretty aggressive, and could be even more unruly if you've only got the two of them. If you've got the room, I would suggest increasing the number of loaches to at least 6 to try to calm them down. However, if they're really giving the ghost knife problems you may end up needing to keep the fish in different tanks.

ghosty 11-27-2008 12:49 AM

yes it is a black ghost knife. Its in a 50gal tank with 6 black skirt tetras and 6 lemon tetras, 2 skunk loaches, 4 synadontis and 1 paradise. the ghost is about 4 inches long, he's nice and black and is coming out to eat. i found out the hard way with the loaches to how mean they could be they reaped havic in my betta tank. i only feed frozen food, either a mix or blood worms i switch it up.

PamC 11-30-2008 11:53 PM

If you find that all the tank mates are behaving and you do not see any visiible damage on your BGK then you might want to do a little more research into the typical behavior (remember ever fish is different and an individual) This is what I have found out about the BGK breed, first they are shy, two they are nocturnal.
One "They are Shy"
Supply multiple hiding spots around your tank for the BGK, once they are out (usually at night when the light in the aquarium is off) surveying their new home, they will find the hiding spots. During the day, hopefully, you will see them shooting to and from the multple hiding spots.
Two "They are Nocturnal"
Since they are nocturnal thus sensitive to light, use a moon light or lunar light. This light will not offend the BGK or your other fish so you can see your BGK actually swimming in all the weird ways they do so well. I do not think it would be a good idea to use the lunar/moon light all the time, just an hour or so prior to the time you would usually turn off the aquarium lights. However the moon/lunar light can be left on over night with no ill effect on your fish or plants.
Hope this info helps you to understand your BGK a bit better, they are really the neatest fish.
PamC

iamntbatman 12-01-2008 12:33 AM

Watch out for the black skirts nipping at the ghost knife (and other fish) as they're known to be nippy. It might not be a problem for you since you have a decently sized school of them. What species of synodontis do you have? Some of them get quite large and four would really be too many for your tank, but if they're smaller species (like upside down cats) four would be a good number. As I said, the skunk loaches might be a little bit less aggressive in a larger group. The paradise gourami is a temperate water fish and shouldn't be housed in a warm-water tank. They can also be fairly aggressive so it may also cause some problems in that community.

ghosty 12-02-2008 10:19 AM

awesome thanks for all your input. i have found another home for the skunk loaches, i think they are lace synadontis, i do plan on getting a larger tank, but if it doesn't happen fast enough i have someone who would take at least one.as for the gourami she is striving in the tank, ive had her a year and she seems to get along with everyone. as for the BGK since i have found the loaches a new home i see him peeking out of his hiding space alot more.
thanks for everything.
how big do lace synadontis get, ive heard 11in.

iamntbatman 12-04-2008 02:08 AM

Here's a good info sheet on your synos:
Synodontis eupterus

If that's not the fish you've got, they list many more (just scroll down to Synodontis):
ScotCat Factsheets by Genus

aquatramp 12-06-2008 05:59 AM

I have two of the eupterus and really like them. One is 7 inches and the other a tad smaller. Might be male and female. They get a bit sassy with one another and just this week I saw the largest one chasing a firemouth and a silver dollar. Guess they were bugging him.

Doesn't the black ghost knife get about 20 inches long?

iamntbatman 12-12-2008 01:51 AM

I've read that figure, but the biggest one I've ever seen was about 16". Still a long fish, though.