Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   betta's (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/bettas-19421/)

ghosty 11-26-2008 04:29 PM

betta's

i have a 15 gal tank with 4 betta's 3 females and one crowntail male. all three females have horizontal lines as well as the white dot to show they are ready to breed. the crown tail is not bubble nesting by any means. what i was wondering is unhealthy for the females to be ready to lay but never do?

Cody 11-26-2008 07:02 PM

Unhealthy, no. That is a good sign.

If you *want* to breed them, I would give the male his own tank for a few weeks. Feed him very well and wait untill he builds up a nest. Then, your ready to breed them (I would have a seperate breeding tank and pick ONE female to breed). I think you would know the rest.

Kim 11-26-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghosty (Post 154502)
i have a 15 gal tank with 4 betta's 3 females and one crowntail male. all three females have horizontal lines as well as the white dot to show they are ready to breed. the crown tail is not bubble nesting by any means. what i was wondering is unhealthy for the females to be ready to lay but never do?

Wow :shock: you have 3 females and a crowntail male in a 15 gallon tank! 3 females alone can crash, never mind with a male. Crowntails are also known to be more aggressive than other types. I would remove the male immediately.
Horizontal lines are stress stripes, not breeding bars. Breeding bars are vertical. Simply having a white dot does not mean that they are ready to breed either.

The male is probably not building a bubble nest because he is stressed.

If you want them to breed and have space and time to care for 100+ baby bettas, then you will need more tanks. First the male and female need to be conditioned seperately, meaning that they are fed a variety of good foods, the male builds a bubblenest, and the female gets full of eggs. Then, they are introduced into a tank specifically for breeding, which usually has to be at least 20 gallons and have the water level dropped to (don't quote me on this one) around 8-10 inches. You also need floating plants for the male to make a nest on, and hiding places for both of them to retreat to in case one or the other gets too aggressive. Eventually they will embrace and the eggs will come out of the female. The male catches the eggs in his mouth and spits them into the bubble nest. The female can then be removed. Shortly after the eggs hatch the male will need to be removed as well and the fry will need to be fed inforunsa (sp?). When they get old enough the males will need to be separated.

This is just the tip of the iceburg. I am definitely not an expert, but I have done a LOT of research concerning everything about bettas. I suggest that if you want to go through with it you read up as much as you can before you attempt your first spawn.

jr.masterbreeder 11-27-2008 11:54 AM

READ READ READ!! thats what i did... and a heads up, the breeding is very violent so be prepared for ripped and schreded fins... have some betta fix on hand for after the breeding. but leave the male with the bubble nest so he can tend the falling eggs and replace them in the nest. also so he can rebuild the nest when nesicary. (< sp.?)

ghosty 11-28-2008 11:44 AM

k i ment to say vertical line...95% of the time they are normal or have vertical lines and every so offten they get vertical lines, i wouldn't say they are overly stressed, there is no squobaling (sp) and there are alot of plants and places to hid. they are all eating and no damage to their fins or bodies. i don't plan on breeding they, at one point i wanted to but i don't have the set up or the room not to mention a way to home all the young.

dramaqueen 11-28-2008 11:01 PM

If you don't plan on breeding, then I'd separate them.

iamntbatman 11-29-2008 01:43 AM

Yep...definitely get a divider to separate the males from the females. Watch out for violence between the females, as well.