Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Is it the right color temp? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/right-color-temp-19406/)

Wallaby 11-25-2008 08:44 PM

Is it the right color temp?

Product Information Error Page

Just by looking at that ad are there any "key" words that stick out and tell you that it's over 5000K?
I figure it's full spectrum since it's advertised for plants...
Thanks!

Edit: If that link doesn't work it's called "Philips 18 In. Lamp F15 T-8 15-Watt Plant and Aquarium Fluorescent Lamp"

kritas 11-25-2008 09:32 PM

Full spectrum is 6700K...

Wallaby 11-25-2008 09:35 PM

Wow I feel stupid now... Thanks... :oops:

How does one figure out if it's enough watts? I've read the 2-3 watts per gallon rule but I haven't been able to find any that fit that for less than an arm and a leg... My tank is 26 gallons...

Kim 11-26-2008 01:36 PM

I got a 3' shop light for cheap (don't remember the exact price but it was less than $30) at home depot for my 29 gallon. Then just get the bulbs and it's great. You can choose from single light, double, or even triple. I did the double 30 watt one for a total of 60 watts for my tank. It is a T12 fixture, but I have heard that T8's will also fit and are more common at fish stores. Hope this helps.

kritas 11-27-2008 04:04 AM

Yes you are correct Kim. T12 and T8 both fit into each others fixtures. Also that 2-3W per gallon rule is Null and void... The two ways to measure your lighting for your tank, is the Kelvin rating, which measures the colour spectrum of your lighting. And the other way is the Lumens, which measures the light intensity on the floor of your tank. I cant exactly remember the formula for the Lumen calculation, but as soon as I find it somehwere in my schoolbooks again, I'll pm you it, ok?
BTW, 2-3W pet gallon rule can be used if you have no other infoprmation about the bulbs your using... If they are good bulbs, they will have the information on the packaging.
Hope that helps:-)

Wallaby 11-27-2008 01:48 PM

Ok, so even if it's only 15 watts, it should be ok for my tank since it is the right spectrum?
Thanks for bearing with me...:-D

fish_4_all 11-27-2008 11:36 PM

http://www.fishforum.com/aquarium-pl...rmations-1742/
New Lights?

The second one will give you the light levels for your tank dimensions. I won't use anything else until somene comes out with something better. Put in your tank dimensions and decide what light level you want.

Low, nothing needed but micros
Moderate, probably need some fertilizer dosing more than micros, benefit form CO2 injection but not needed
High, will need good dosing regiment for moderate planted tank and would benefit greatly from CO2 injection
Very high, almost requires CO2 injection and needs a very strict fertilizer dosing regiment

All is for a moderately planted tank. What thatmeans I don't know but if oyu have more than 20% of the tnak planted and have any big consumers like swords, Wiesteria, Water sprite, floaitng plants or others then I consider that a moderate planted tank. Anubias with some java fern is not moderately planted in my opinion unless you have a LOT of them.

What plants do you have and how many?

fish_4_all 11-27-2008 11:38 PM

Oh, BTW, I have a gro bulb that I use and I actually like but the Kelvin rating is only 3750K. What it means I don't know but it grew plants very well with another light of 6700K. I use a 48 inch shoplight. It could actually have the spectrum needed and the company reports differently or it could be that spectrum but it works.

Wallaby 11-28-2008 05:45 PM

Thank you so much Fish_4_all! That's really helpful!

kritas 11-28-2008 07:04 PM

Thank you too fish 4 all. I didn't know Lupin created that sticky...