Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Is it dead? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/dead-19399/)

Blaxicanlatino 11-25-2008 10:56 AM

Is it dead?

I have 3 malaysian trumpet snails but they havent moved in awhile. And now my water is turning a foggy green color. HOw can i tell if there dead and polluting my water?

Lupin 11-26-2008 05:35 AM

Smell them. If they smell rotten, they're obviously dead. Check your water parameters.

daisycutter 11-26-2008 04:16 PM

how the hell did you manage to kill them? the damm things are invincible

SinCrisis 11-26-2008 10:40 PM

cheap food with metals in em will do it like it does to any invertebrate...

daisycutter 11-27-2008 01:57 PM

still they are generally hard as nails i once removed the gravel out of a tank and put it aside in a bag for later use,when i got round to re-using this gravel the trumpet snails that had been in this gravel out of water for just under 2 weeks came back to life

willow 11-27-2008 03:38 PM

i'd go with the "smell them and see" because they have
the most g*d awful smell when they're dead,
also i would have thought that the (door),sorry i'm tired
would be open,although having said that they may just be hiding
because your water is not favourable to them,
whats the water testing at ?

daisycutter 11-27-2008 10:23 PM

when trumpets are alive but dormant like the ones that were out of water or under attack from a predator they retract deep into there shells and shut the door tight when there dead the door will sit open and the snail wont try to close it if disturbed(poked)

Blaxicanlatino 12-02-2008 08:11 AM

the water is getting colder then what it normally is because its winter over here - from 84 degrees F to 74 F in the tank.has been a cloudy green for a loonnnngg time still for unknown reasons! I noticed the snail were "dead" or not moving when i put in a fert that had about .00007% copper. Thats when all heck broke loose in my tank! iI clean that tank out every week about 20% of the water,i dont feed much. I still see some tiny baby snails moving about at times. Althoug, i havent replaced the filter sponge and about a month or 2... My platys are doing well though. Its just the green foggy water that just wont go aways and the vanishing snails

Blaxicanlatino 12-02-2008 10:04 PM

well i cleaned 25% of the water today and found one of the "dead" snails. It had a white fur on it...so thats a large indicator saying that its dead right? lol now i gotta find one more...whos probably dead too... gotta find it. I guess im goin digging huh?

Lupin 12-03-2008 12:12 AM

Did it smell bad? That's one way to indicate whether it died or not.:wink2: