Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Compatible plants? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/compatible-plants-19391/)

Wallaby 11-24-2008 07:40 PM

Compatible plants?

So in the next few weeks I'm going to be setting up my 30in tall 26g (thought it was 29, but evidently not) half-hexagonal tank and I'm thinking about getting real plants for it.
I'm thinking I'm going to put 1 inch thick gravel in the bottom with however many inches thick 15 pounds of sand ends up to be. Firstly, is that a good idea? Should I ditch the gavel? Do I need to add anything more to that?

The plants I'm considering putting in are: (how many might I need, too)
Java Fern
Dwarf Subulata
Anarcharis

Are those good or bad plants for a complete beginner? Do they need lots of care?

I'm not sure what kind of lighting I'm going to be using but most likely not metal halide. It'll probably be one of those florescent plant lights. Suggestions?

Thanks.

aunt kymmie 11-26-2008 02:52 PM

The plants you list are very easy to grow and I'd get a compact flourescent light. I think the rule of thumb is 3 watts of lighting per gallon. I've got a heavily planted tank and have mostly sand w/ some ecocomplete mixed in as substrate. I'm not sure on what the depth for gravel should be. I was advised to go with 2" and am glad I did. I'm not sure how many plants you should get. My theory is that less is not more...I like lots & lots of plants in my tank! As far as ferts I use Flourish Excel & root tabs.

iamntbatman 11-28-2008 11:57 PM

It might be difficult to plant that tank. 30" tall is very tall. How big is it across? I'm thinking it will be difficult to find a lighting fixture that will fit correctly. Even for medium lighting conditions on the floor of your tank, you might have to get some pretty potent lighting.

kritas 11-29-2008 05:07 AM

Can I just add... Since the title of this thread caught my eye, I thought I might as well throw in a useful piece of information...

In nature(and in aquariums), plants have no mobility what-so-ever, and cannot rely on their strength/weight/size for protection. Therefore, flora have come up with an ingenious invention over the past million years or so, that have enabled them to defend themselves against herbivores and other flora trying to encroach upon their territory.
This defense mechanism, is called Allelopathy. Allelopathy is the process within which a plant releases toxins that are lethal to its native enemies(e.g. herbivorious fish/mammals etc.) The toxins released are different in every plant that produces them, and the amounts released alter, varying how much is needed to deter the "enemy".
For example: Myriophyllum spicatum produces a toxin that is fatal to blue-green algae, duckweed, najas marina, and even mosquiote larvae.

Little is known about Allelopathy, it started off as a mere hypothesis, and has gradually become a fact. If anyone wishes to study more on Allelopathy, I reccomend buying the book: The Ecology of planted aquariums, by Diana Wilstad(I think thats her name)...

Sorry I got carried abit off topic there, hehe..... :thumbsup:

Merry Fishkeeping!!!!!!!

aunt kymmie 11-29-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 154904)
It might be difficult to plant that tank. 30" tall is very tall. How big is it across? I'm thinking it will be difficult to find a lighting fixture that will fit correctly. Even for medium lighting conditions on the floor of your tank, you might have to get some pretty potent lighting.

I didn't know about the cons of keeping a planted tank that was 30" tall. I was considering a show tank but since I also insist on having planted tanks that changes things. My LFS has a five foot tall Discus tank that is impressively well planted & thriving. Are they able to achieve this through intense lighting?

Kritas: That was interesting info!

Wallaby 11-29-2008 06:25 PM

It's 24 inches long and 12 inches wide at it's widest spot since it's a half hexagon. The hood only fits a 18 inch bulb though.