I have just recently noticed that I have an Algae problem in my Freshwater 10 Gallon tank.
Here are some specs of the tank,
It is 10 Gallons,
No live plants,
6 small goldfish,
3-4 ghost shrimp,
Light runs 10 hrs. per day.
Yesterday I noticed that I have some yellow algae.
I noticed it because I have a mix of dark gray and white gravel and almost all of the white gravel has some yellow-brownish kind of algae on it. Also, I have a decorative rock that had some algae on it as well, and the glass also has some on it.
I tested my Nitrate levels and I got 40ppm.
Ammonia and Nitrite are 0 as they should be.
I did a 60-70% water change last night and pulled the large decorative rock out and srubbed it in my sink to try and get the algae off, I was not very successful, some came off but hardly any.
I tested my Nitrate again today and it looks about 5ppm.
I have also left the light off since I have first noticed the yellow algae.
I did some research and I think it may be Mustard Algae?
What would you recommend I do to solve this problem?
If you think it would help I can snap some pictures of the tank so you can see the algae, not sure if it will show up real well on the camera or not.
Thanks a lot!
How long has your tank been set up??
If your tank has a heater you could get a pleco or some otos. I would try and get a heater if you don't, the pleco might be better for you. You may also want to try and change the food for a week to see if it is the food contributing to the algea.
I don't think I'd consider putting a pleco in that size tank. 10G is pretty small for a pleco. Even the smaller pleco species still get to be around 4in and I think that would be much too large for this tank and its current occupants.
Yea, if it isn't now, it sure will be in the future! For 6 especially.. I think?
I currently have no heater in the tank.
It has been setup for about 4-5 months now.
Yes I realize they will get to big for the tank. They didn't tell me that when purchasing the tank, I bought it from a local shop and they have been ripping me off and giving me bad information. I am going to keep them until they are to big for the tank and then will upgrade them to larger tank.
Anyway, does anybody know what it could be? I want to make sure it is not harmful to them.
Any other information you need to diagnose I'll be glad to answer.
Hey one more thing, tell me what your opinion is on this please.
I have a second tank,
29 Gal. Freshwater
1 rainbow shark
and a bunch of ghost shrimp
Could I possibly put the goldfish in that 29 gallon tank and just not have the 10 anymore? Just an idea, would probably be much easier to take care of if it is possible.
Goldfish are a cold water species, and your 29 gallon occupants are not. So I would say no.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.