Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cycling Report (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cycling-report-19352/)

Blissfulfish 11-22-2008 04:23 PM

Cycling Report

Hello everyone! My 20 gallon (tall) tank has been set up with 4 zebra danios for two weeks and one day. I've done one 15% water change during that time because of an accidental fish food spill. Other than that I have left the tank alone and fed the fish a small amount once a day. I test the water every day or every couple of days. I did a full test today with no changes:

High ph: 7.8
Ammonia: 0 (maybe a bit above zero it's hard to tell, but nowhere near .25)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

The fish tank basically tests exactly like my tap water. Are these results normal after the fish have been in there for two weeks? My stocking goal, once things are done, will include 6 zebra danios. I'm wondering if 2 more danios added to the mix would be okay for cycling or if that could make the tank go crazy.

So far the fish are doing great. They all look healthy, are eating well, and swimming around the tank like a bunch of fools. The water is also very clear. Thanks for the help!

Highland lake13 11-22-2008 06:50 PM

It sounds like 2 more danios wouldn't make that tank out of whack. You may also might be nearing the end of the cycle. But if your kit is old, you may want to get a new kit because it is unusual for the nitrates to be 0. My 10 and 37 which have been established for a few years each, aren't at exactly 0. Otherwise it sounds like a cool tank and again i do think that 2 more fish would be fine. GOOD LUCK!!

~ Cam

Blissfulfish 11-23-2008 02:06 PM

Thanks Highland, I appreciate the input. I finally found what seems to be a very good LFS. The guy there was very helpful and seemed to agree that two more shouldn't be a problem. I went ahead and did it. I'll be keeping a close eye on the water quality. The fish are all doing great so far.

Thanks again.

Tyyrlym 11-24-2008 12:20 PM

That would be an incredibly fast cycle but I don't think that's what's happened. Have you seen the ammonia rise in the tank, the nitrites? If your tank has cycled the nitrates should be on the rise.

Blissfulfish 11-24-2008 01:42 PM

I'm fairly certain the tank hasn't cycled, I don't think it could have in just two weeks. The strange thing is that I've not seen a rise in ammonia or nitrites at all. I have no idea if my test kit is out of date, I don't see an expiration on it anywhere. Hopefully adding the two danios won't be a big deal. I suppose time will tell!

If I do get an ammonio or nitrite (or nitrate, for that matter) reading I'll be sure to let ya'll know.

Peace!

Tyyrlym 11-24-2008 03:13 PM

After two weeks you should be seeing ammonia readings. Danios aren't large fish but a 20 gallon tank isn't large enough to mask the ammonia they should be making. What test kit are you using? I know on the API kit the difference between 0 and 0.25ppm of ammonia is hard to read. If your LFS is willing to run the tests you might want to take a water sample to them and have them test it to be sure.

Blissfulfish 11-24-2008 04:43 PM

That is a great idea! I think I will take my water in to see. You're exactly right that the difference between 0 and .25 on the API is difficult to read. I think that is where I'm having trouble. I know there is ammonia in there, I just can't seem to find it! I do use the API testing kit. I sure hope it's not an old testing kit because throwing out another $30 bucks for a replacement kit would be hard to swallow. Thanks again.

Tyyrlym 11-25-2008 07:28 AM

I cycled with fish, 3 platys and a single neon, long story, in a 55 gallon. My ammonia rarely made it over 0.25. A good LFS will be willing to test your water. Mine wants fifty cents to do tests but that's not bad. They use the API kit themselves.

If you just bought the kit its unlikely its too old. More than likely the problem is you just have some small fish and the test is hard to read for the ammonia levels you have.

1077 11-25-2008 07:44 AM

At two weeks, I would not be concerned about anything with this particular tank. Four danios ARE producing ammonia assuming they are alive and eating. The tank is maturing and the fish are not being overfed. I would not add any more fish and I would continue to test water every other day to two days. Who is to say how much ammonia shoud be being produced by the four danios. Another two weeks to three weeks and assuming no MAGIC potions are added to the water and OP could SLOWLY introduce new fish one or two a week. Also while taking a water sample to the fish store can benefit those without test kits, It should be noted that many fish stores especially some of the large chain stores use test strips rather than liquid test kits. IMHO all that is needed in this case is patience.

Tyyrlym 11-25-2008 07:59 AM

If the LFS does tests and properly going and having their water tested can help them know that they're doing it properly and getting consistent readings. Also, its an excuse to go to the LFS. The danios are of course producing ammonia this is just for their benefit to know that they're doing it right.