Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Growth inside frontosa's mouth (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/growth-inside-frontosas-mouth-19305/)

aperfectoblong 11-19-2008 08:51 PM

Growth inside frontosa's mouth

Hi people, my frontosa seems to have this weird growth inside it's mouth, i initially thought it was pellets that he didn't swallow but a day has passed and it's still there. it looks like two round eggs inside his mouth. btw i only noticed this yesterday, before that it looked fine. any idea what it is? anyone with similar experiences? looking forward to your response, thanks.:-(

Little-Fizz 11-20-2008 07:43 AM

Could we have some details? Like how big is your tank? Do you have a heater? What are the water parameters, how often do you change the water. But most importantly... What kind of fish is Frontosa? How long have you had him? and is a picture possible?

aperfectoblong 11-20-2008 09:31 PM

Frontosas are cichlids

Little-Fizz 11-20-2008 10:50 PM

:lol::lol: Hahaha I never knew thats what those fish were called! Too bad I thought that would be a cool fish name.

A picture would still help... It's kind of hard when the only description is two round eggs.

AmPitbullTerrier 11-21-2008 06:21 PM

How many Frontosa do you have? Is is possible that they are eggs? Frontosa are mouthbrooding fish.

aperfectoblong 11-21-2008 10:09 PM

I don't really know if they're eggs, but it looks like eggs. Thing is, i dont think my frontosa is old enough for brooding its only 2 yrs old, and the other 4 frontosa in the tank are juvies (1 1/2 inches long). Its been 4 days already since i noticed it, its not eating also. I checked my water quality yesterday, its pretty good coz ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, nitrates are 5 and ph level is 7.6 or higher.

I cant provide pictures either, coz i tried taking them and you cant really see it in the cam. the frontosa moves a lot and he pretty much has his mouth closed all the time. you need to really look close to notice thats something is inside his mouth.

Hope someone could help out.

aperfectoblong 11-21-2008 10:11 PM

Another detail, its a 20 gallon tank, with one 3 inch frontosa, four juvie frontosa, and one small jack dempsey.

AmPitbullTerrier 11-21-2008 10:52 PM

Yeah generally they dont reach maturity until about 3 - 4 years old..... Although they dont eat at all or very little whole brooding.

I used to breed tropheus duboisi (also a brooder) and never noticed anything like that.

Without being able to see, it's kind of hard to tell. Sorry I cant help you more. I hope it's okay.

kritas 11-22-2008 01:17 AM

You need a bigger tank for them...
20G is simply not big enough IMO, and they will not reach full size....

aperfectoblong 11-22-2008 02:23 AM

So what do you guys think about those rounds things in his mouth? is it a tumor?