Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Will this work? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/will-work-19279/)

FishKid91 11-18-2008 03:05 PM

Will this work?

I have 29gal FW tank. It has gravel on the bottom that was bought from petsmart. Right now I only have fake plants. I'd like to get some real ones. But I have a few questions. 1. Would the gravel work and how well would it work? 2. Would a 17W floro stip light be enough? If not then I will get the light first.

daisycutter 11-18-2008 06:26 PM

WHAT plants you want is the first qestion some of the more difficult plants need rich soils,high powered lights,co2 systems and spot on water chemistry others...can be simply thrown in to any body of water and away they go
are you just looking for a nice easy show of greenery or something specific?

Kim 11-18-2008 06:29 PM

To answer your questions.

1) The gravel will work but I would get some root tabs to stick in it and fertalize the plants.

2) That light will likely grow nothing but algae. I would aim for 2 watts per gallon. With that wattage you don't need CO2, but you have more choices for plants and a greater chance of success.

If you don't use CO2 I recommend using Flourish Excel as a carbon source. It will really help your plants.

I am not an expert by any means, this is just what I have learned in the short time that I have been keeping plants. Hope it helps.

okiemavis 11-18-2008 09:06 PM

You should be able to grow java moss (I grow that in UNLIT tanks), but anything else is probably gonna call for a lighting upgrade. Other than that, nothing else is *needed*, there are plenty of nice, low tech planted tanks. However, it will limit your options.

FishKid91 11-18-2008 10:29 PM

I'm not looking for anything in specific just something simple. I can get a higher wattage bulb no problem (I'm sure we have some around the house or in the garage lol) would these work for the tabs? Jungle Labs Plant Food Tabs - Live Plant Care - Fish - PetSmart

I'm just looking for something simple and cheap. My pocket is very shallow:-(

onefish2fish 11-18-2008 10:43 PM

check home depot or a hardware store.

your going to want a FULL SPECTRUM bulb. the problem with a used bulb laying around is that you dont know how old it is. bulbs that were used seem to burn out on certain spectrum colors faster then others. you can prob. even look into one of those clip on circle lamps that are commonly used for heat lamps. i dont see why this wouldnt work, and finding a 75watt full spectrum bulb for it should be no problem.

FishKid91 11-19-2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 153211)
check home depot or a hardware store.

your going to want a FULL SPECTRUM bulb. the problem with a used bulb laying around is that you dont know how old it is. bulbs that were used seem to burn out on certain spectrum colors faster then others. you can prob. even look into one of those clip on circle lamps that are commonly used for heat lamps. i dont see why this wouldnt work, and finding a 75watt full spectrum bulb for it should be no problem.

I've looked on the internet for them but I can't find any. The tank is a 29gal and all the lights on petsmart go up in watts on the lenght of the tank/bulb. I can't find a 75watt that will fit the top.

onefish2fish 11-19-2008 01:55 AM

similiar to this, except it clips on.. they are commonly used as "heat lamps" for reptiles...im not 100% sure if it will work but i dont see why not, as i have a setup like this over my sump on my saltwater tank growing cheato
Cool Bright 45 Watt Fluorescent Large Portable Work light - L-2202 at The Home Depot
this is only a 14watt daylight bulb but i believe they go up to 75-100 and also make full spectrum, i think daylight or full spectrum would work
n:vision 14 Watt Daylight Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL), 1 Pack - 5M81455K at The Home Depot

daisycutter 11-19-2008 06:26 AM

the easiest plants to grow are in the group known as oxegenators(eg hornwort,eldoa) these will grow without substrate ,fertiliser or co2 and anchoring them is a matter of visual appeal these will reqire more light though

as for low light plants i have found that java fern,and the increasingly popular mosses will grow very well in my shrimp tanks that are lit with a basic household strip in fact java fern can really suffer in high lighting

kritas 11-21-2008 05:27 AM

Ok... To clear things up abit for everyone still going with the 2-3 watts per gallon rule...
Wattage is simply a measurement of power output, and shouldn't be used to determine the amount of lighting needed. The correct measurement would be in Lux.
Just to clarify Daisy cutter...
Java Fern can suffer in high lighting, because it is in nature, a Bog plant. It thrives in the shade of other vegetation. It can still exist in high lighting conditions, athough will never turn up as it would if it were shaded for most of the day...