Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Ich treatment progress.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/ich-treatment-progress-19267/)

aunt kymmie 11-17-2008 11:36 PM

Ich treatment progress....

Hi. Advice needed....

I'm currently into my 8th day of treating for ich. I'm using the high temp/salt method. Only three loaches were visibly affected on day 1. The protocol for day 9 calls for lowering the temp by one degree (which would be 84 degrees) and a 20% water change. My problem is that I'm still seeing white spots on those same three loaches but none on the other tank inhabitants.

I'm concerned as tomites must be in their free swimming stage in order for the treatment to be successful. After falling "off" the fish how soon do the tomites emerge? Do the tomites have only 48 hours in which to find a host before they die?

I guess the main question I have is: How many days after the last visible white spot is seen do I maintain the current 85 degrees & current salt content? It's been 8 days since the my last water change.
I've been checking water parameters every day and they remain spot on.

I don't know in the days to follow if I should:
~maintain the 85 degrees, or begin to adjust one degree lower each day until 78 is reached?
~do or not do a water change?
~add or subtract salt?
~or a combo of any of the above?

The directions I'm following never mentioned what to do if visible spots were still visible on day 9 of treatment.
I have no idea how to proceed and really need advice with this.
Much thanks in advance to anyone & everyone who can help.

aunt kymmie 11-18-2008 10:41 AM

I'm on day 9....can anyone advise what I should do????

iamntbatman 11-18-2008 01:13 PM

If the white spots are still visible, I would maintain the high temperature and keep the salt content steady. If you need to do a water change for regular routine purposes, go for it, just replace it with same-concentration salt water.

aunt kymmie 11-18-2008 01:22 PM

Common sense told me that was the answer but wanted it verified by a pro. I saw only one spot left this morning so will continue with temp/salt. How many days after the last white spot is seen do I continue treatment? Two days, three to be safe?

I'm not sure how I determine the amount of salt content to put back in the tank after the water change is complete. I know that salt does not evaporate. I have no idea how to calculate for this. Math was never one of my better subjects....
Considering that my water parameters are still perfect I think that waiting a few more days isn't going to hurt anything. Would you agree?

iamntbatman 11-18-2008 02:10 PM

I agree. The free-floating ich parasites need to find a host within 48 hours, so just to be on the safe side I would say three days after the last white spot is gone would be a good time to start lowering the temp and reducing the salt content.

aunt kymmie 11-18-2008 02:11 PM

That's what I thought and I thank you so much for confirming!!

satwood 11-23-2008 01:31 PM

Hi,

I hope your progess is good. I went a full 5 days after my last white spot was gone before I started lowering the temp and changing out water. I did two water changes during the cycle and used salted water for those changes. Don't be in too much of a hurry, an extra day or two seems to be no problem once the fish get used to the new conditions I think. My tank went an extra week altogether and only some dead leaves on the plants showed any syptoms of what I was doing. My mollies and platys all had babys during the cycle and my cories actually gained weight - :-?

Tell us how you make out.

aunt kymmie 11-23-2008 02:21 PM

As of this morning I still see two white spots remaining on one of the clowns. I started treatment on 11/10 and am surprised that there are still white spots. The fish are doing just fine but my plants are suffering horribly. The ferns have disintegrated, the cabomba has broken into a bunch of pieces...leaf litter is everywhere. I'm doing a water change and hopefully have it looking a little better. I'm keeping the temp/salt right where it is for 72 hours after the last white spot is seen. I hope that is soon....

I've already resigned myself to the fact that I'll most likely lose all my plants and have to start over in that department but priority number one has always been the fish!

Thanks for checking in and I'm glad your tank is now healthy. I'll be glad when mine is!!!

aunt kymmie 11-25-2008 04:33 PM

Arrrgh.....I'm getting so discouraged!

I started treating for ich w/ the high temp & salt method on 11/10 and here it is 11/25 and I'm seeing new spots crop up on my clowns! The clowns are the only fish in the tank showing symptoms. Do I keep continuing with the current salt content and 85 degrees??

I'm concerned about my otos & Denison barbs. Preferred water temp for the barbs according to the stats are 60-77 and prior to this treatment I maintained my tank at 78.
This morning I found one of my otos belly up. :cry:

I'm not sure what I should do. Water changes until the salt is removed, slowly lowering the temp back down to 78 and then treat with meds? Or continue w/ the salt & temp??? I'm at a complete and total loss as to what I should do.......

iamntbatman 11-25-2008 08:56 PM

Hmm that's really discouraging. Do you have a hospital tank you could move the clowns to? There's no sense in continuing treatment in your main tank and destroying your plants and killing your other fish. I would think about continuing treatment in the hospital tank for the loaches and getting your display tank back to suitable conditions for your other fish before any more of them succumb to the stress of the elevated salinity and temperature.