Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Questions about PH for beta (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/questions-about-ph-beta-19265/)

SolaceTiger 11-17-2008 08:47 PM

Questions about PH for beta

Can a betta fish thrive in a tank with a ph of 8.2? When I get my fish moved to my 30, I'd like to get a betta in my 10 gallon, but don't want to if the ph would be to high for him. Yes? No? Maybe? Thanks!

Kim 11-18-2008 08:42 PM

I think that 8.2 is just too high for a beta fish. Really hard water (I know, 2 different things but I think it's safe to assume that your water is hard) tends to curl betta fins and is just not a healthy long-term environment for a fish that origionates in soft water. Sorry.

okiemavis 11-18-2008 09:39 PM

He'll probably live, but it's certainly much less than ideal. Why not just use a ph reducer? All the fish you have listed currently in the 10G really should be in a much lower pH as well.

SolaceTiger 11-18-2008 10:18 PM

PH reducer doesn't do any good, cause of the high buffer or something? I forget exactly how that works. But I've had the tetras for a long time and they do just fine in that ph, those particular ones anyway... the red eye tetras are closer to that range from what I know anyway. And the bloodfins are especially hardy, and they all look very healthy, so i dunno. :P If I ever get a bigger tank, over 55 gallons I could definately look into some cichlids though. :D Thanks.

aunt kymmie 11-18-2008 10:38 PM

When (not ever :-)) you get a 55 cichlids would be fun for you. There is such a variety of them out there and they sure are nice looking. I hope to do a tank like that also.

SolaceTiger 11-18-2008 10:58 PM

I can't remember if this was a cichlid that was compatible with high ph, but I do like the fairy cichlid. :D Fairy Cichlid, Neolamprologus brichardii, now Neolamprologus pulcher Aren't they pretty? o_o

aunt kymmie 11-18-2008 11:03 PM

Very pretty. I see you're already working on your stocking plan for your cichlid tank!

SolaceTiger 11-18-2008 11:09 PM

LOL, that's a loooooong ways away. I make very little each month and have to pay to get my van fixed soon. xD

jeaninel 11-20-2008 01:26 PM

Oooh, they had some of those Brichardi at one of my LFS and they caught my eye too. They are a Lake Tanganyikan fish so your hard water would be perfect.

SolaceTiger 11-20-2008 06:39 PM

Yes, I found it cool when i read about them, that when the parents have fry, they are protective, then when the fry grow up and get a little older, they help care for the parents next batch of fry. what a family huh? lol

really bums me out about the bettas though.