Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Using Buffer (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/using-buffer-19254/)

SinCrisis 11-17-2008 12:16 PM

Using Buffer

I was lookign around and i found this: Freshwater Planted Aquarium Water Buffers: Seachem Acid & Alkaline Buffer I was wondering if anyone had used it before and if it was safe and effective? My PH is 8.0 and my driftwood seems to do nothing to lower it. I also need to add calcium to the water which will raise my PH higher so i was wondering if adding the acid buffer and then calcium would be able to stabilize it at around 7?

Tyyrlym 11-17-2008 01:44 PM

Out of curiosity, why do you need to add calcium?

aunt kymmie 11-17-2008 11:52 PM

To supplement snails??

SinCrisis 11-18-2008 08:37 AM

yea my house has water softener added to the water and i was told it got rid of a lot of the calcium in the water. I have a snail in the tank so that's why i will be adding calcium.

Tyyrlym 11-19-2008 01:01 PM

I use the acid buffer myself. I have a pH of 8.0 out of the tap and I use it to get it down to 7.5. So far I have had no trouble keeping the pH stable.

The way I use it is this. First you have to find out how much buffer its going to take. Get a bucket of water ready as you'd do a regular water change. Now add a small measured dose of the buffer and give it a hard stir. Test the pH using the high and low scale. Now just keep adding buffer in small doses, keeping careful track of how much you've added and what the pH is. When you've reached the level you want you know how much buffer you need to get the bucket to the pH you want.

Now, whenever you do a water change add that amount of buffer to drop the pH where you want it and add the water. Do not try and alter the entire tank's pH all at once. By dosing your water changes you'll slowly move the pH of your tank to where you want it. Moving slowly is what you want to do, a rapid pH change can kill fish as quickly as an ammonia spike.

Be realistic in how much you want to move the pH, too much of a shift can wipe out the buffering capacity of your water and leave you open to a vicious pH swing if something happens say... dosing calcium. Remember 7.0 isn't a perfect pH, it's just a pH. Move your pH as little as possible to achieve your goals.

SinCrisis 11-20-2008 06:18 PM

cool thanks

Oldman47 11-30-2008 05:48 PM

Try going to the hose connection outside for your water. The outside hose connection is usually not connected to the softener because the salt will kill the plants in your garden. That water will have the normal mix of typical tap water minerals and may prove better for your fish as well as the snails. It is at least worth testing that water as an alternative.

SinCrisis 12-01-2008 11:51 PM

but its all old, ahvent used the hose in ages outside... what about rust? or other garbage outside stuck in the hose?