Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   A Newbie's Cycling 20g Tall (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/newbies-cycling-20g-tall-19247/)

Blissfulfish 11-17-2008 12:06 AM

A Newbie's Cycling 20g Tall
 
1 Attachment(s)
This is my new tank. I've had 4 danios in it for 10 days now. They are doing good but no ammonia yet. I'm currently suffering from wi****wouldcycle-itis. Any suggestions for the tank?

jeaninel 11-17-2008 12:29 AM

Nice looking tank. I like all the tall plants.

Have patience. That's a fairly light bioload but eventually the cycle will start. Are you using a liquid test kit or strips? Have you done any water changes yet?

Tyyrlym 11-17-2008 06:48 AM

Well this is more on the equipment side. It would be best to rotate your heater to about a 45 degree angle or more. That way the thermometer in it isn't bathed in the warm water coming off the heater portion and shutting off prematurely or cycling excessively. Also, I'd move your thermometer to the other side of the tank so that you get a better idea of the all over temperature of the tank.

Aside from that, just be paitent. The cycle will happen. Once your tank has cycled it will be much more forgiving on you and your fish.

SolaceTiger 11-17-2008 12:18 PM

Really like your setup, especially that artifical piece of driftwood.. I think it's fake right?

Blissfulfish 11-17-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolaceTiger (Post 152879)
Really like your setup, especially that artifical piece of driftwood.. I think it's fake right?

Thanks! Yes, it's fake. I like it cause it looks cool and has some hiding spots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyyrlym (Post 152829)
Well this is more on the equipment side. It would be best to rotate your heater to about a 45 degree angle or more. That way the thermometer in it isn't bathed in the warm water coming off the heater portion and shutting off prematurely or cycling excessively. Also, I'd move your thermometer to the other side of the tank so that you get a better idea of the all over temperature of the tank.

Aside from that, just be paitent. The cycle will happen. Once your tank has cycled it will be much more forgiving on you and your fish.

Thanks so much! I can't believe I didn't think about moving the thermometer before! It's on the other side of the tank now.


Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 152802)
Nice looking tank. I like all the tall plants.

Have patience. That's a fairly light bioload but eventually the cycle will start. Are you using a liquid test kit or strips? Have you done any water changes yet?

I'm using the API liquid kit. I had to do small water change today because I had an accidental feeding incident. I dumped WAY too much into the tank! I was able to clean most of it out though. I'm not planning on doing any changes until I start getting an ammonia reading though.

Thanks everybody!

iamntbatman 11-17-2008 03:09 PM

Looks good! How about a background? I'm always a fan of plain old black, but some of the ones with plants look pretty good, too.

aunt kymmie 11-17-2008 04:16 PM

I agree w/ batman. A black background would look awesome for your tank. It's looking good. Love the tall plants.

Blissfulfish 11-17-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 152919)
I agree w/ batman. A black background would look awesome for your tank. It's looking good. Love the tall plants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 152910)
Looks good! How about a background? I'm always a fan of plain old black, but some of the ones with plants look pretty good, too.


Ooooh, good idea!! Maybe a black background will make this stupid thing cycle faster.... :-P

willow 11-18-2008 01:58 PM

hello,
wow !! what a lovley tank.
i agree with the others about a black background,it would look
great. :)
do you have any friends with a tropical tank ?

Amphitrite 11-18-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow
do you have any friends with a tropical tank ?

Good point, if you could get some established media to add to the tank that would help things along.

Is this your first ever tank? It looks fantastic and you've taken a great picture of it, it's really clear. :-)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2