Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Urgent help please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/urgent-help-please-19230/)

davehicks 11-16-2008 02:50 PM

Urgent help please

I have a tropical fish tank

having just carried out a water change ( done it for years ) the water has suddenly gone very cloudy and will not clear.

Often the water clouds for a few miutes , but soon clears.

Any idea what I have done wrong please

David

PS Direct emails will be collected on my Blackberry which will help please
david@dha-ltd.co.uk

Amphitrite 11-16-2008 03:10 PM

Hello Dave, and welcome to the forum. Could you give a little more information please?

What size is the tank.
What fish and how many do you have in it?
What is your water change routine i.e. how often do you carry out water changes, how much do you change and do you use a gravel vac?
Is you tank planted?
What sort of substrate do you have in the tank.. gravel/sand..?
What sort of filtration are you using?
How long has the tank been running and have you make any recent changes?

Do you test your tank water? If so, can you give readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

davehicks 11-16-2008 03:28 PM

Hi, thanks for response

Tank is 4 ft curved front, 250 L

Fish ( have not changed for 3 - 5 years ) Clown loachs, Uarus , variuos Plecs, Lemon Tetras, plus various similar ( all now safely transfered to a neighbours tank )

Pump Fluval 404 -- ( changed about 2 years ago )

gravel ( small stones ) base, several rocks, and artificial logs / branches ( again been in tank for years

Nothing has changed for years, as far as I can tell this has resulted from a routine water change; something I have done regularly for donkey's years.

water changes every 2 weeks or so, about 10 - 20% depending on requirement, must admit I had not tested water recently, but having done it today, all is within tolerances.

Water appears to be full of small particles ?????

I am totally puzzled, all the filters and media are as before

So any clues would be greatly appreciated please

Amphitrite 11-16-2008 03:40 PM

Hmm.. sounds like a bacterial bloom. Do all tank inhabitants appear healthy? How much do you feed, and how often?

What's your filter maintenance?

Do you use a gravel vac when doing your water changes? How many clown loaches do you have?

It might also be worth contacting your local water authority to see if they've added any treatments in your area recently.

Sorry for all the questions but it's important to find out as much as possible.

willow 11-16-2008 03:57 PM

i get that from time to time, blooming anoying.
perhaps try filter wool in the filter.
by the way,when you say test is all within tolerances,would you enlighten me
by saying what they are please. :)

cerianthus 11-16-2008 04:42 PM

It may be nothing but the fact that you may have disturbed the bottom as you poured new water. Sometimes it is better to monitor the water conditions rather than do something drastic without knowing what it is. Just wait it out , making sure the filter is working propoerly as long as fish are eating. Doing extra tests will help understand the tank whenever this kind of event takes place. Keep a journal of all the things you do with the tank which can benefit you down the road understanding your tank. Remember every tanks are different. Reason before action.