Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Confused about GH/KH testing... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/confused-about-gh-kh-testing-19207/)

SolaceTiger 11-15-2008 02:19 PM

Confused about GH/KH testing...

Can someone help me decipher my results? I am using the API GH/KH test kit.

My KH is off the charts with at least 23 drops before it would turn yellow, stayed on orange....

GH took only 6 drops to turn a faint green, 8 drops to turn a little darker green but just barely.

I am just confused on how to convert that... since the numbers are so different?? From what I understand though, my water would probably be alot better suited for cichlids than tetras...

Can someone familiar with using these tests advise me? Thanks...

SolaceTiger 11-15-2008 04:43 PM

I forgot to say, the water tested was from my 10 gallon tank with my tetras and otos.

SolaceTiger 11-15-2008 10:18 PM

Ok, so ... it means i have off the charts KH and only 107.4 ppm of GH? I just don't understand how that works?

SKAustin 11-15-2008 11:44 PM

Ok, now youve got me confused here. The API Kh test (which by the way is your measure of Carbonate and Bicarbonate ions in the water) should have started off Blue, and gone to yellow. The Gh test (which is the measure of Calcium and Magnesium ions in the water) should have gone from orange to green. You may want to try running the test a few times to make sure youre readings are consistant. User error is not uncommon, sometimes you may get partial drops. Make sure you follow the directions to the letter.. deviations, even in the length of time you shake the bottle (or in the case of these two tests, shaking the bottle before testing) can lead to false results.

SolaceTiger 11-16-2008 12:23 AM

Well, I'm glad I'm not hte only confused one. I will redo the test tomorrow I suppose. Do you suggest I do the testing for the water straight from the tap before any dechlorinator would be added or anything? Or do it again from my 10 gallon which my fish are currently in? I would imagine the difference wouldn't be to big if any? I also checked if the bottles were expired and they were manufactured last April or so, so we're good in that sense.

SKAustin 11-16-2008 12:40 AM

Your dechlorinator shouldn't be making any difference in the tank, though It wouldn't hurt to test your tap as well. Chances are, your tap will test close to the same as your tank, unless you've added anything foreign to the system.Youve mentioned in previous threads that you have a high pH. With high Kh, you will have a hard time bringing that pH down as well. The key here to remember is, your fish will benefit more from stable levels, then they will from you attempting to maintain optimal levels. if your fish are faring well under their current conditions, there is greater harm to be done by trying to change things.

SolaceTiger 11-16-2008 09:42 AM

Ok, yea my tetras are okay, but I've been more worried about my otos lately. I've had them for over a month now, but lately they just like to literally all day hang on the back wall of the tank. Sometimes when I look their stripe is faded, other times it's bold. Maybe they'll feel better once I get em all moved to my 30. =/