Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   question about heater.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/question-about-heater-19203/)

MRQuad 11-15-2008 09:52 AM

question about heater..

guys, i have a 20G rubbermaid container (plastic) that i used to age the water for my discus tank.. and i put a heater that (can heat up to 100G)..

now my question is:
will it be ok if i put the heater on the bottom of the plastic container? my only concern is that, the heater might burn the bottom of the container and might make a huge mess..

what do you think guys? :-(

aunt kymmie 11-15-2008 10:01 AM

I think it would depend on the heater. I have Stealth heaters and I'm sure they wouldn't be able to burn through plastic.

Nudist 11-15-2008 10:48 AM

if you have any concern about it at all, put a board of anykind, even a cut off broom handle across the top of the container and tie the heater cord to it where the heater hangs in the middle of the water, not touching anything.

Steve

aunt kymmie 11-15-2008 10:58 AM

What a simple, obvious solution. Thanks, Steve!

MRQuad 11-15-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 152486)
I think it would depend on the heater. I have Stealth heaters and I'm sure they wouldn't be able to burn through plastic.

thanks for the response.. appreciate it.

MRQuad 11-15-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nudist (Post 152490)
if you have any concern about it at all, put a board of anykind, even a cut off broom handle across the top of the container and tie the heater cord to it where the heater hangs in the middle of the water, not touching anything.

Steve

wow.. what a practical way! 5 stars on this idea.. hehehe.. i will do this right away.. thanks guys!

Nudist 11-15-2008 01:41 PM

your very welcome, glad i could help.

Steve

MRQuad 11-16-2008 10:48 AM

hi, i'm back! with different question.. :cry:

my filter keeps siphoning the sinking pellets that are for my fish.. there's a lot of food that are going inside of the filter and the fish end up small food for them. how do i prevent this? :cry::oops:

P.S. consider my english..;-)

cerianthus 11-16-2008 01:50 PM

Feed away from filter since sinking pellet and slow down the filter with adjustable knob on the filter if HOB.

Nudist 11-16-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerianthus (Post 152702)
Feed away from filter since sinking pellet and slow down the filter with adjustable knob on the filter if HOB.

if the filter is not adjustable, being you should only be feeding enough food for them to eat all of it in about 3 minutes, i would guess turning the filter off while they are eating and then turn it right back on wouldnt hurt anything. thats just my guess though, if anyone sees a problem with that please correct me.

Steve