Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   How can I catch a Siamese Algae eater (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/how-can-i-catch-siamese-algae-191977/)

Dovie 05-30-2013 10:51 AM

How can I catch a Siamese Algae eater

Does anyone know how to catch a Siamese Algae eater without disrupting the tank plants etc.

I had 4 of these fish and was advised to return them to the lfs. I caught 3 of them without problems, but the last one just disappears into the plants as soon as it sees me coming near the tank. Its about 8 cm long now and need to be caught.

Just done a big water change as I am away for a week so any ideas for when I get back would be most helpful.

Dovie

JDM 05-30-2013 12:17 PM

Drop the water level so that there is little room to swim, much easier to catch then. I did this to get a bunch of quick fish last week.

Jeff.

Dovie 05-30-2013 01:32 PM

Hi Jeff

I had thought about that, but all the tall plants fall down and that makes it even more difficult.

I have quite a lot of plants in the tank now and they grow quite fast so I guess I could cut them back even further.

I had thought about making a snail trap using a plastic bottle. What do you think?

Dovie

JDM 05-30-2013 01:58 PM

If it knows the food and will go after it through the bottle lid, that would work.

Jeff.

Dovie 05-31-2013 02:39 AM

It was after I posted the question that thought of a snail trap.

I will give it a try when I get home next week.

Dovie
Posted via Mobile Device

flight50 05-31-2013 10:17 AM

Lowering the water level is a must pretty much. I get away with emptying my tank by 95% to capture fish or when I need a serious water change. I use R/O water though. Anyways less water helps Otherwise it could take all day. Its the only one left and it is completely scared. I remember when I had to catch my two. They can move when they want to. Like little missiles darting thru the water. I sent mine off to a lfs as well. I didn't like what they were becoming in my tank. Lazy and bullies.

rexpepper651 05-31-2013 11:37 AM

i lower my water and use two nets side by side.

ChuckinMA 06-08-2013 05:50 AM

Good luck - lol! I had the same issue with a Chinese Algae Eater sold to me by a chain pet store before I did adequate research and was still a newbie to the hobby. It, of course, started growing rapidly then took to grazing slime off the sides of other fish and getting way too aggressive. I finally did catch him.

I've since been told that SAE's are much better community oriented fish and have one who's been peacefully co-existing for about 6 weeks. I'm curious why you were advised to remove yours?

Dovie 06-08-2013 09:59 AM

Apparently they get to big and are messy. However I have just returned home and tried the bottle trap idea.

I cut off the top and inverted it inte the bottle put a bit of food in and within five minutes I had nearly every fish trapped in it, except the SAE. They were getting very stressed so hade to take it out.

I will reduce the water level next and try that way.

Dovie
Posted via Mobile Device

JDM 06-08-2013 10:37 AM

That's almost funny....

No.... that IS funny!:lol:

Jeff.