Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   ghost knife fish.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/ghost-knife-fish-1919/)

iamlinda69 12-18-2006 06:36 PM

ghost knife fish....

hi there :wave: , ive a had black ghost knife fish for a while now, hes abour 8 inches long. but i really have no information about these guys, i know nothing about them. :dunno:

could someone help with some general info, food, living conditions ect?

it would be greatly appriceiated.
:thankyou:
Linda

Lupin 12-18-2006 06:50 PM

Hi and welcome aboard.:wave:

What is the size of your tank where the BGK is kept?:) BGKs can reach 12 inches and possibly even larger. Fortunately, they are inaggressive for a predator.
They are carnivores though they may eat veggies. Not bad to feed them shrimps, live fish(breed on your own so the chances of introducing diseases is reduced), veggies(one member has his BGK eating cucumber), etc.
BGKs tend to release weak electrical pulses to communicate with each other. I have seen 4 in my lfs chasing each other around the sponge filter.:crazy: They're still 4 inches in size though.

iamlinda69 12-18-2006 06:54 PM

thanks,

my tank is two foot long, i dont know how many gallons that is, im in australia and all.

my knife fish is also kept with bolivian butterflies, red tailed sharks, angel keyholes, bronze catfish and samuri flying foxes.

i wasnt aware that he is a carnivore, might have to try some veggies too!

is he really as blind as i think he is tho?

Lupin 12-18-2006 06:59 PM

You'll need a 4 ft tank for a BGK to fit.:)
Any fish which emits electrical pulses is blind(not totally). One example aside from BGK is the Peter's Elephant-nose. They tend to live in the murky habitat hence the electrical emissions is the only way for them to communicate with each other. Make sure your light is not too bright. They tend to freak out when light is bright.
None of your fish will be eaten that easily except your flying fox and red-tailed shark if your tank is not large enough to accommodate all the fish. Cories have spines so the BGK may have a hard time getting them.

Note that the BGK and Elephant-nose are scaleless so be careful when using meds for treatments. It's best to ask advice before using treatments.:)

iamlinda69 12-18-2006 07:03 PM

most of my fish are rather small. i have no issues with space luckily. i would definatly look into a 4ft tank tho, my boyfriends got one. i love my gkf, so no expense is too much!

iamlinda69 12-18-2006 07:05 PM

i forgot to say, i dont know if my gkf is weird or anything, but he comes out all the time when my light is on to feed and such. he hates red lights tho, in fact all my fish do. do you know why that is?

Lupin 12-18-2006 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamlinda69
i forgot to say, i dont know if my gkf is weird or anything, but he comes out all the time when my light is on to feed and such. he hates red lights tho, in fact all my fish do. do you know why that is?

Hmmm....Fish often have preferences though I wouldn't go with bright lights for BGKs but if your BGK is used to it, then it shouldn't be a problem.:) Your BGK, of course, will never miss feeding time or its stomach will growl.:mrgreen:
All fish actually don't like missing meals. Any fish with an unusual behavior of not going out to eat is likely stressed or ill except with nocturnal fishes in which you feed them at night or in dark rather than in day.

iamlinda69 12-18-2006 07:19 PM

i also have highlighting lights in my tank, 2 blue, one red. i cant turn the red one on or all my fish freak out and hide. do all fish do that.
my boyfriends oscar also freaked out at the red light.

Lupin 12-18-2006 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamlinda69
i also have highlighting lights in my tank, 2 blue, one red. i cant turn the red one on or all my fish freak out and hide. do all fish do that.
my boyfriends oscar also freaked out at the red light.

I haven't used red. I used pink and stopped using that as it was too dim making the fish more used to subdued lighting rather than bright ones.
I cannot answer your question.:blueworry:

iamlinda69 12-18-2006 07:25 PM

thanks anyway mate :yourock: