Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Whoa! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/whoa-19173/)

MegK 11-13-2008 03:16 PM

Whoa!

my brother found me a tank... someone was giving it away but it looked pretty... bad. algea and ugly rocks bad background stuff like that lol

it looks about 30gallons, maybe less. i was comparing it to my 33 and its a little shorter but also looks a little longer. ill take measurments later.

anyway, tomorrow i have the whole day off, so im going to clean it out and check it for leaks, if there is no leaks, i have a new tank! it came with some stuff too, like a heater and hood, which i dont really need any equipment, i have it all.

whats the best way to clean algea? any cleaners i can use?

im not sure about addition stocking, but i have 4 tanks now and i want to reduce it to 2 with this one, and an extra 5 gal for eggs or stick fish.

one tank of course, my turtle tank, and then this one will have my neons, pristella tetras and cories and one kulhi loach. which all together is like 12 fish lol im hoping to breed the cories, cuz i love them so much. and probably get something that eats aglea, like ottos? idk.

either way, this cleaning process will take a week and just setting up a month lol. but yea, my main question is about cleaners, whats safe to use?

Kim 11-13-2008 03:54 PM

The tank is empty? I always use a mild bleach solution to make sure I kill any bad things that may be in there. Then just rinse the heck out of it until you never want to rinse anything again! Congrats on the new tank!

akoblitz 11-13-2008 04:14 PM

Personally I have always stayed away from bleach in fear some residue being left behind... just good ol elbow greese. Get a scrubbing pad and get to work!

iamntbatman 11-13-2008 04:15 PM

Also you can use a razorblade to scrape off any algae or other nasty stuff, and vinegar to clean off calcium deposits.

MegK 11-13-2008 07:54 PM

well im really scared of using the blades, im afriad ill scratch the glass.

tomorrow morning im spending hours cleaning, so ill probably use bleech, vinegar and scrubbing, just so its super clean

Tyyrlym 11-17-2008 07:45 AM

Chlorine bleach is commonly used as a sanitizer in food preparation industries. Use a low concentration of it, 5% or so, in other words 20 parts water to 1 part bleach. Do all the cleaning you need with this solution then rinse very well. Allow the tank or whatever you are cleaning to air dry in a well ventilated area until you smell no more bleach, at least 24 hours. After that give it another rinse and you're ready to go.