Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Where to get driftwood? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/where-get-driftwood-19171/)

FuzzAz 11-13-2008 12:15 PM

Where to get driftwood?

what exactly is driftwood? I am asking because I want to buy some for my new tank but my local options are petco and petsmart and they just have small crap. I am nervous about the stuff on aquabid, though it looks nice how do I know it is safe, and is the right kind of wood? And though lots of online stores sell it there is no picture so I have no idea what I am getting. the tank is going to be amazon style hevially planted, and I want the acidifying properties. Can I find my own driftwood somewhere? What types of wood are acceptable and what do I need to look or watch out for if I wanted to find some or buy some from aquabid or eBay?

cal1112333 11-13-2008 12:24 PM

Driftwood is just waterloged wood, or rather just is incapable of floating. Ive seen it range from dark red to light tan and vary in shapes and sizes. Unless there is something hitching a ride on it, or if it has been treated with something you don't want Im pretty sure that driftwood is driftwood and no matter where you get it It still serves the same purposes.

Kim 11-13-2008 02:25 PM

You can find driftwood or buy it. If you find it you will have to make sure it does not come from a polluted water source, and boil it for several hours prior to putting it in the tank. Also, when finding wood make sure that there are no rotten spots, and that the wood is hardwood rather than soft. That's really it. Oh, pieces too large to boil can be baked in an oven at 200 degrees.

FuzzAz 11-13-2008 04:08 PM

Thanks for the replys. There is a creek with some oak and juniper around it. I think I will go look for some there.

iamntbatman 11-13-2008 04:10 PM

Also, the thing that's a pain about using your own "found" driftwood is that it's usually not waterlogged, so it won't sink. You have to weigh it down underwater for a long time (sometimes months) before it's waterlogged enough to sink on its own. Driftwood sold for aquarium use is either dense enough to sink even if it's dry or it's screwed to a piece of slate to weigh it down. Searching for your own driftwood can be fun, but honestly it's a heck of a lot easier to just buy some. Usually I'm not a supporter of Petco but sometimes they keep pieces of driftwood in their display tanks. You can get some decent looking pieces for under ten dollars.

Where are you located? Better LFS's usually carry a good selection of driftwood so it might be worthwhile to find a better local store with some bigger pieces. This pet shop directory is pretty helpful:
Badmans Pet Shop Directory, read reviews of your local shops or send in yours

I've never purchased driftwood on Aquabid, but as long as you're mindful of the seller's reputation there are some pretty good pieces on there at fair prices. Personally I like Malaysian driftwood the most, although some people are fans of Mopani root wood.

s72450 11-13-2008 04:40 PM

I bought a nice chunk from PetCo that looks beautiful in my tank. I got it for about ten dollars. Well worth it I think.

FuzzAz 11-13-2008 04:51 PM

The one LFS we had and I really liked just went under, so I am left with Petco and Petsmart(further away). I have had really bad luck with petco fish, as in %100 mortality out of 4 fish and a snail. Maybe its just me but I think it has somthing to do with corprate ethics. I would rather buy online then support them at this point. Nearist city large enough to support a LFS is 2.5 hours away

Nudist 11-13-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzAz (Post 152167)
Nearist city large enough to support a LFS is 2.5 hours away

it sounds to me like you need to move at least 2 hours from where you live now. :) i'm just kidding but good luck in finding what you need.

Steve

SolaceTiger 11-13-2008 05:40 PM

I have malaysian drift wood in my tank, got it for about 7.99 I believe for each piece. That's a locally owned fish store/pet shop right down the street from where I live. I feel very fortunate... good luck!

s72450 11-13-2008 06:51 PM

As a perk on the driftwood that I recieved from PetCo, I got a free algae eater that was hiding inside the wood, he survived for nearly an hour and a half without water as I didn't know he was in there until I got home and was unloading the wood into my tank.