Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Kribs have fry, killi drama. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/kribs-have-fry-killi-drama-19120/)

eyecancer 11-11-2008 01:46 AM

Kribs have fry, killi drama.

So my pair of Kribs have a nice group of fry and they're doing the whole good parenting thing by showing them around the tank. (29g) I was using Ember tetras as dither fish, I started out with 8 mind you. One day I was at the LFS looking at other stocking options when I ended up just buying an amazon sword when I saw a lone Golden wonder killi, and I decided to pick him up. He gets settled in the tank and after a couple of days my roommate mentions he can only see 7 Embers. Fast forward a couple of weeks and I am now down to two Embers, two kribs and their fry, and the lovely killi, I really like watching him stalk, but i have yet to see a successful kill. The Ph in the tank is 7.7-7.8 and I need some suggestions.

With parent Kribs, and a put anything that will fit in its mouth because i'm fat killi, I'm looking for another group of dithers for this particular situation. I like vibrant colors, no hybrids though. Red is preferred. Also interested in a single/group of utilitie fish that will be safely kept with Krib parents. If suggesting a pleco, the uglier the better, especially if it has those prongs on the face. Something like a Medusa, though Ph is an issue. Also any other random/cool/ugly/colorful suggestions are welcome :)

iamntbatman 11-11-2008 12:37 PM

Plecos aren't a good idea. They'll eat your krib eggs at night. Something like tetras would be an ideal dither fish, but the killi has almost certainly been eating yours. The killi is also going to start eating the fry. I introduced a pair of kribs along with 34 fry to a tank that already had a pair of golden wonder killies, and the killies immediately started to stalk the fry. Mind you, the fry were really too large to be eaten at this point and could defend themselves, but they had been largely independent of their parents and their siblings for several weeks (during which they grew significantly) before being moved to the tank with the killies. Had I moved them earlier, the killies absolutely would have went to town on those fry. To put it another way, I don't think you'll ever be able to raise fry in a tank with golden wonders.

As for dithers...how about rummynose tetras? They have the bright red noses, will school tightly, and are much too fast to get caught by your parent kribs.

eyecancer 11-11-2008 03:28 PM

Rummy-nose sounds better and better. As for my fry and the killi, he has get to come within six inches of them. The kribs are doing a real stand-up job protecting them, going as far as to attack my hands when I had to remove dead foliage next to the drift wood.

Any ideas for utility fish? I won't mind the risk of a pleco eating the eggs, I'm already at a loss as to what to do with all the fry I have now if they make it to one inch.

iamntbatman 11-11-2008 03:40 PM

How old are the fry? As they age, the parents will let them venture off on their own more and more. Eventually, the parents will decide they don't even like the fry and will stop protecting them and even chase them away should they get too close. At this point, the fry will also stop liking each other and will begin to explore the tank on their own. This all started to happen when my fry were a half an inch long or so. I agree about the kribs being good parents - it's just once they stop protecting them, the fry are very vulnerable.

What do you want the utility fish for? Algae control? Bottom-feeding? A bushynose or clown pleco would do a decent job of controlling algae, but a school of oto catfish would be better. A school of cories would be good for general bottom-feeding, but they won't eat algae or rotten food. Also, they can be pretty dumb about the kribs and will plow through the fry even with the parents beating on them. Any "utility" fish will create more waste than it cleans up so you've gotta keep that in mind.

gunmetal 11-19-2008 11:37 AM

i have otos with my kribs and they live great together. they're fast enough to get away if the kribs feel they're too close and they don't create too much waste. only good for algea control though. as for dithers, i like red eye tetras.