Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Water Chemistry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/)
-   -   B-Ionic question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/b-ionic-question-19100/)

conger 11-10-2008 01:52 PM

B-Ionic question

Hi all,

After reading many good things about B-Ionic, I decided to start using it to help regulate my Alkalinity and Calcium. I only started dosing with it about a week or so ago, so it's still early for me.

However, I have a situation with my water parameters, where my alkalinity is on the upper-end of the target range, but my calcium is a bit low. My parameters are as follows (tank is 90 gallon, FOWLR [~120 lbs], up and running for about 4 months... only contains a few snails, a coral banded shrimp, a 4-stripe damsel and a firefish goby):

Ammonia/Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 8
pH: 8.3
sg: 1.024
Calcium: 360
Alkalinity: 12 dKH
Magnesium: 1180

Magnesium is a bit low too, so I've started dosing with Kent Marine's Tech-M and testing each day to try and bring it up and stabilize.

My question though, is with B-Ionic, is it OK to dose with unbalanced amounts of Part 1 and Part 2? I'd like to raise my calcium, and either lower or at least not raise my alkalinity any further. But I'm hesitant to add twice as much of the calcium part as the alkalinity part... does anyone know if it is OK to do that? Or is there some other way that you would recommend I raise my Calcium and lower my Alk?

Thanks a bunch for any advice!

Pasfur 11-11-2008 06:59 AM

I will bring this thread to Steve Austins attention. He is more qualified on this to provide details. But... it is not uncommon to have alkalinity high and calcium on the low end of the scale. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Both are still within an acceptable range.

conger 11-11-2008 12:06 PM

Thanks Pasfur, even though its a FOWLR tank, I'm still hoping to keep the water quality very high, as well as encourage lots of coralline algae growth. To that end, I figured I would need to keep the calcium levels a bit higher, but its good to know that my levels aren't out of whack as they stand now.

SKAustin 11-11-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conger (Post 151464)
My question though, is with B-Ionic, is it OK to dose with unbalanced amounts of Part 1 and Part 2? I'd like to raise my calcium, and either lower or at least not raise my alkalinity any further. But I'm hesitant to add twice as much of the calcium part as the alkalinity part... does anyone know if it is OK to do that? Or is there some other way that you would recommend I raise my Calcium and lower my Alk?

Adding unequal parts of B-ionic will not accomplish your goals, the dosing must be equal for each part. I had the same problems when I started, and found that supplementing my B-ionic dosing with limewater (Kalkwasser mixed in the top-off water) did a good job of not only supplementing the additional Calcium, but also for keeping the Ph at 8.4

If you do not want to add Kalkwasser, you may also consider supplementing with Kent Marine's Liquid Calcium.

Good Idea to supplement the Magnesium. A lot of folks dont, and then wonder why they have trouble with Calcium levels and/or precipitation. Kudos for recognizing that need.

conger 11-11-2008 08:19 PM

thanks Steve, that helps a bunch. Regarding the Magnesium, I got the idea initially from reading your posts!

I do want to avoid dosing Kalk, so if the Kent Calcium supplement is a viable alternative, should I pause my use of B-Ionic while I am using the Kent Calcium (it seems like it would be a bit too much stuff to be adding to my tank to do both)?

Thanks again to both you and Pasfur, you guys are all over the place on this forum and dish out quality knowledge and advice to people all over!

SKAustin 11-12-2008 02:22 AM

Stable levels within the acceptable range are far more important than achieving ideal levels. I would not discontinue the dosing of the B-ionic. Small amounts of the Liquid Calcium should be added to bring your levels up slowly, then discontinue dosing the Liquid Calcium to see how the levels change thereafter. From there adjust your dose to achieve a stable level. You may need to supplement your B-ionic dosing with the Liquid Calcium long term, or even permanently if you are not using the Kalkwasser. The key to remember is that you are replenishing the ions that are being used by your livestock in efforts to keep your water parameters as close to natural seawater as possible. You will eventually need to adjust your dosing as your livestock matures and begins to use more of these ions to grow.

Another note, make sure you are Shaking the B-ionic and Tech M well before dosing. These additives do seperate and that could well decrease the effectiveness and accuracy of your dosing.