Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Just set up 2 10 gallon tanks...sort of... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/just-set-up-2-10-gallon-19094/)

SICFish 11-10-2008 02:02 AM

Just set up 2 10 gallon tanks...sort of...

Well, I'd received 2 10 gallon tanks that had been in storage, as I posted earlier. I gave them both a really good rinse, and cleaned up the sides of them.

Anyways, not knowing what worked, and what doesn't I simply filled them with water, put the filters and heaters in place, and gonna let them sit for a while. There's no substrate in them yet as I have to wait til Payday for that. So I figured this will give me a chance to see if there are any leaks, and make sure the equipment works properly on them. As of now, no leaks, and all equipment works. Once payday hits, and I can get substrate, and plants for them I will post an update.

Also, I may be getting a 55 Gallon tank from my sister, which would be nice! It would replace the one I lost during moving as it got broken, If I get that...I will include it in the update. Not really sure what I want to put in them, but I'll figure it all out.

Scott Miller

Kim 11-10-2008 02:06 PM

Oooo...fun, fun, fun! I love setting up new tanks! Keep us posted.

Tyyrlym 11-10-2008 02:12 PM

I use play sand for substrate. $4 or less per bag and one bag will be more than enough for your two 10 gallons.

iamntbatman 11-10-2008 08:38 PM

Not to mention play sand is an ideal substrate for bottom-feeding fish like corydoras and kuhli loaches.

SICFish 11-10-2008 09:47 PM

Just to add an update to this, I was just offered a free tank, not sure what size, but it's said to be 55 gallon or larger...so we shall see what I get.

As far as the 2 tanks I have currently semi setup, they seem to be doing just fine, no leaks, everything's working...which is always good news! never know with them having been in storage for quite a while.

So Let's see...trip to store needs to include substrate for 3 tanks now! Woo HOO! My daughters will be SURPRISED! I've got 1 10 gallon in the living room, one in the office, and then this other one I get will also be going in the living room. Once I get the substrate, I guess it's time to start figuring out what fish I want, and what ones I want in which tank! I've always had at least a small aquarium since I was little, but it's been quite a while since I've had a nice big tank! and now having 2 10 gallons on top of the larger tank, I've got plenty of space for lots of lil fishy's lol.

Once I get them more setup, I WILL be posting pictures.

Tyyrlym 11-11-2008 07:09 AM

A 55 gallon tank will be 4 feet long, 13 inches wide and 18 inches deep. Frankly... not loving mine. Don't get me wrong, I love my aquarium, but the narrow tank can be a real pain when it comes to decorating it. Not trying to be a downer, but if it's larger, say a 75 gallon, those are nice. Anyways, congrats on the tank, don't let me be a downer.

I can't recommend sand enough as a substrate. It looks spectacular to me and its great for bottom dwelling fish. Rinsing it is aggravating but the end result is very worth it. Two bags of play sand, play is important, not reef or live or crushed coral sand from the LFS, just play sand from your local hardware store, should be able to give you a substrate for all three aquariums. Even if you want pebbles don't go to the LFS. Go to the local hardware store. What your LFS will sell you for a dollar a pound you can get at the hardware store for a tenth that.

SICFish 11-11-2008 10:00 AM

Actually she said she thinks it's a 50 gallon tank. and yea, I agree they are skinny, BUT how can I complain when it's free? I really don't think I can. The only thing I need to buy is a new filter and heater.

Local Hardware stores have pebble stuff that can be used as substrate? interesting. I wouldn't know how to even clean playsand for substrate.

and with this not being an immediate setup, I've got plenty of time to figure out what I want as far as a theme for the in tank deco. I've got a thing for dragons and I've seen some dragon deco around, so maybe I can go that route...we'll see what I come up with.

Tyyrlym 11-11-2008 10:29 AM

Yes, hardware stores sell that sort of thing, usually in the garden department. It's just river rock, there's nothing special about it. Anything sold to "hobbyists" is automatically going to be marked up. There's no difference at all between small river rock sold at the hardware store and regular gravel from the LFS, except that the stuff at the LFS is sold for ten times what the stuff at the hardware store is sold for. Depending on where you live might determine the colors you have available, for some reason here in Florida red river rock is unknown but I can get all the white quartz I want, but there's no difference.

Rinsing sand is easy. Get a five gallon bucked and pour in about 1/4 of the bag. Get a garden hose, preferably with a sprayer attachment and put it on the highest volume tight stream you can. Now just blast the sand with it. Give it about twenty to thirty seconds of water to get it agitated then stop. The water will likely look like chocolate milk. Wait for about five to ten seconds to let the heaviest stuff settle out then slowly pour the water out being careful not to take the settled sand with it. Now just repeat that until the water is clear after you give the sand a few seconds to settle after agitating. Expect to do anywhere from fifteen to twenty five rinse cycles a bucket to get things clear. Its time consuming. I just finished rinsing sand for a new tank yesterday. It took about an hour and a half to rinse a full bag of sand. It's important to do though. If you don't rinse it well any time something disturbs the sand in the aquarium it'll kick up a dust storm.

And no, you can't complain about a free tank. I know I wouldn't even if it was another 55 gallon.

SICFish 11-11-2008 10:42 AM

Well Thanks for the info. I've been looking online for filters and heaters, and seem to be able to find them BOTH cheaper online than in stores...but wonder what shipping rates would be, and if it'd really be worth it in the end.

Tyyrlym 11-11-2008 10:51 AM

I can't speak to your specific situation but I know that the prices are often so ridiculous in my local Petsmart for things like heaters and filters that I can buy on line and even with shipping still come out ahead.

I buy things at Dr. Foster's online and so far I've bought my test kit, heaters, filter cartridges, and decor and even with shipping I've saved a considerable sum. In fact if you buy everything together you're even better off to save on shipping.