Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Aquaripure (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/aquaripure/)
-   -   Changing aquaripure from saltwater to freshwater. Unit left unused for two months. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/aquaripure/changing-aquaripure-saltwater-freshwater-unit-left-190722/)

alk 05-29-2013 01:10 AM

Changing aquaripure from saltwater to freshwater. Unit left unused for two months.

Hi there,

My Aquaripure has not been used for two months the water has been sitting in it the whole time. I just emptied out the water and there is a slight smell but nothing horrible. Can I try to just hook it up and start running it again?

Hypothetically, if I wanted to change my saltwater Aquaripure to freshwater use, would I have to dry it out by running an air line tube through it for a couple of weeks first? or can I just fill it with freshwater and wait for it to cycle?

In either case (fresh or saltwater) I have no livestock to worry about so am willing to experiment with it. I realise I may have to add some sacrificial hardy cycling fish or simply feed an empty tank to get things started but I was just wondering what your thoughts were. I dont really want to buy extra bacterial inoculations if it can be helped though, I dont mind waiting the extra cycling time.

Thanks in advance.

AbbeysDad 05-29-2013 09:27 AM

The Aquaripure contains four different densities of synthetic foam sponge material. I'm not certain how successful you would be at just hooking it back up and running it after being down (some of the biology has likely died off) - it might be okay. If it was me and you were to reuse for SW, I think I'd take it off-line, mix a bucket of SW (or use SW tank water) and flush the filter before hand.

As for converting to FW, I would take the filter and pump to the sink. Draw a bucket of warm water to put the pump in and run it for a time to flush the filter with fresh tap water. Make sure to do a final flush with either conditioned or tank water.
Before running in a FW tank, you will need to obtain a FW bacterial culture as they are not the same as the SW culture.

Good luck - keep us posted,

AD
Quote:

Originally Posted by alk (Post 2178034)
Hi there,

My Aquaripure has not been used for two months the water has been sitting in it the whole time. I just emptied out the water and there is a slight smell but nothing horrible. Can I try to just hook it up and start running it again?

Hypothetically, if I wanted to change my saltwater Aquaripure to freshwater use, would I have to dry it out by running an air line tube through it for a couple of weeks first? or can I just fill it with freshwater and wait for it to cycle?

In either case (fresh or saltwater) I have no livestock to worry about so am willing to experiment with it. I realise I may have to add some sacrificial hardy cycling fish or simply feed an empty tank to get things started but I was just wondering what your thoughts were. I dont really want to buy extra bacterial inoculations if it can be helped though, I dont mind waiting the extra cycling time.

Thanks in advance.

twocents 06-26-2013 05:40 PM

The instructions state that if the filter is taken offline for a long period of time (I think 2 months qualifies), to dry the filter out by blowing air through it for at least a week.
I would start by using a bucket to run water through it. I would run it full bore, and change the water several times.
Life forms that die have a tendency to decompose and give off obnoxious, unpleasant, and maybe even toxic substances.
maybe another input?
just my thoughts