Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-journals/)
-   -   New to Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-journals/new-saltwater-aquariums-19046/)

agm182 11-06-2008 10:51 PM

New to Saltwater Aquariums

3 Attachment(s)
I'm new to the forum and new to the Saltwater aquarium world. I just started my first tank, a 46 gallon Bow. I just added my first live rock to the tank as shown in the pictures. Let me know if anyone has any good advice as well as suggestions for my rock formation.

Andy

onefish2fish 11-07-2008 08:30 AM

good start, your def. going to want more rock and powerheads

willow 11-07-2008 03:32 PM

hello and welcome.
looks like you are off to a good start,
i hope you get all the help you need. :)

agm182 11-08-2008 04:07 PM

Thanks Willow and OneFish2Fish. I actually already have a powerhead and just put it on today. I'm slowing building up the live rock since it is pretty costly. Right now I have about 25 lbs in there and plan to pretty much double that.

As for fish, I was looking at starting with a Flame Angel and two clown fish and slowly add a few more over time. I'm open to any suggestions on what type of fish people have had and were sucessful keeping in a smaller tank. (46 gallon bow).

onefish2fish 11-08-2008 07:29 PM

check out my tank thread if you want, im currently using a 46 bow

willow 11-09-2008 09:07 AM

i will look forward to watching your tank,i really will.
i don't know anything really about saltwater tanks,
however i's sure others will help you.
that's what i like about it here,always someone to help.

Pasfur 11-09-2008 06:58 PM

Some random thoughts....

On the live rock, you should arrange the rock to allow or maximum water circulation around the rock. For example, your rock on the far right has maximum contact surface with the sand. It would be beneficial to stand this rock up, to allow for minimal rock surface contact with the sand. Then build the rock formation from there.

The Flame Angel is very easy to keep, in an established tank. I would not add this fish for at least 6 months. You want a full tank of live rock and thriving population of copepods, amphipods, etc.

You may want to add some base rock to save money. I personally used Tufa rock for the base of my reef, and you can't tell the difference after 6 months. A big money saver.

That looks like an AquaClear intake strainer. Is it? What other filtration?

On the live rock... the quality is poor. Very little life on the surface. Nothing wrong with that... just don't overpay.

agm182 11-10-2008 09:44 PM

Thanks for the advice Pasfur! I'll definitely look into the arranging the live rock for a better flow. Also this was just my base rock. The place I go also has some premium rock that is much better that I am looking to add..

Unfortunately that is the Aquaclear and that is all I have as of now. I am looking at getting a wet dry filter shortly as well, but I was told for the short time this would be okay. I'm trying to get that ASAP because I know I will probably need more than just that AquaClear for the long term sustainability of the tank.

As for fish, I am holding off on the flame angel for a little while. I started with 2 green chromis as a cheap easy starter fish just to make sure I was on the right track and I have added a clown fish and a yellow tang. (The tang is really small right now so it works in my aquarium but I have a friend I am going to give it to if is gets too big and needs more space.)

ajmckay 11-11-2008 09:59 PM

I'm no expert.... but,

Greetings...

I like your pictures... Your tank looks nice. What do you use for lighting? I am also fairly new to the hobby; and I do have a few tidbits of advice, so you might want to take it with a grain of salt :-)

First off, through my research I found that you almost cannot have enough water flow in a tank... I have a 29 gallon tank and I have 3 sources of water movement producing over 600 gallons per hour in circulation... And I can tell you that the more current you have going over and through your live rock the better!

Also I was wondering about your cycling time? You say you added the live rock on November 6th? How long was the tank set up before that? I hope the tank has cycled sufficiently since those fish are all expensive!! I cycled my tank with hermit crabs, live rock, and live sand for a month.

As for your filtration, I would say add a protein skimmer before you buy another filter... The live rock should serve as your biological filtration and a skimmer can take care of the rest... I myself am in the same boat... I started off with a Fluval 205 cannister because that's what I had along with a small Aquaclear, but my next filtration purchase will be a protein skimmer.

And finally, with regard to fish stocking remember that it's usually best to add the less aggressive fish first so they can gain a territory before the stronger, more aggressive fish are introduced. I think yellow tangs are supposed to be very aggressive fish, hopefully he doesn't pick on any less aggressive fish you add down the road.

Well I hope I could help you!

Good luck

Pasfur 11-12-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmckay (Post 151798)
Greetings...
As for your filtration, I would say add a protein skimmer before you buy another filter... The live rock should serve as your biological filtration and a skimmer can take care of the rest... I myself am in the same boat... I started off with a Fluval 205 cannister because that's what I had along with a small Aquaclear, but my next filtration purchase will be a protein skimmer.

Agreed. A wet dry filter has no place on a marine aquarium with live rock. The live rock provides total biological filtration, and with the addition of a protein skimmer you should have an easy time keeping Nitrates low and reducing the size of water changes.

I am not at all supportive of the Yellow Tang, regardless of size. In the wild, Tangs grow to over 70% of their adult size within the first year. In an aquarium of your size, this sort of growth is not possible. You should never purchase a fish which can not live as an adult in your aquarium.

The Chromis are also a horrible idea. They live in extremely large schools and have proved impossible to keep alive in small groups. This is NOT an easy fish to keep, despite their ability to withstand fluctuating water quality.

Whoever is advising you at this point in your marine aquarium life is not doing you justice. I suggest slowing down, doing a ton of research, and asking a lot of questions online.

Good luck! We're here to help.