Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Ghost Catfish Hiding, Help? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/ghost-catfish-hiding-help-19041/)

brittanyb157 11-06-2008 05:23 PM

Ghost Catfish Hiding, Help?

So I recently added a Ghost Catfish to my 29 gallon tank. I had not done my research before I bought one, and the girl at the lfs said that it was fine to get only one. After going online to research I found that they should be in groups, so I went back to the lfs and got 2 more, putting them to 3. Now, I just added the new 2 a couple of days ago. The two newer ones have a hiding place and I don't know where it is. They don't come out until after I turn out the light and I have not been able to feed them since I got them.

I am having trouble feeding all of my Catfish, but once I nudge the other out of his hiding place I manage to get him a brine shrimp or two before the other fish come along and snag it. I don't want to lose these catfish, they're really neat! My tank is lightly planted right now. I read on a previous topic that they need shade as they don't tolerate light well, so would a floating plant provide them some better coverage? I have a very low-lit tank as it is...it is a single 20 watt bulb.

Also, these fish don't really school together at all in my tank...why is that?

NeonDetra 11-09-2008 08:24 PM

firstly no fish will die solely on the fact of being alone. its fine to wait a bit and then get more fish. now are all of your fish not eating? Or is it just 2? How many fish did you have in your tank before all your catfish? how big is your tank? I boght one ghost cat a week a go, but no more. the difference between our situations, is that you put 3 in at a time, i put in one. mine eats fine. so far i'm starting to think they do better by themselves AT FIRST. why? because my ghost cat has no opposition in the tank, everythings for him. but this may not be correct. the reason may also be because i have duck weed, small clovers that float on the water and multiply like mad. in large clusters, duckweed provides formidable shade, while leaving other tank sectors light for mt other plants. i notice my catfish stays beneath the duckweed. the calmer and more suitable your fish enviroment is, the more less threatened the catfish will be. perhaps some mere adjustments would fix your problem. after moving some stuff around and implanting duck weed, try the method i use. its much more tempting to the fish. you know those really small suction things that suck up water and come with test kits? use one of those, and a small container. squirt some tank water into the container, drop some flakes in,stir it around with the suction thingy, suck it up, and put your suction thingy close to you fish. squirt out the flakes, and they should go for it. hpe this helps!

iamntbatman 11-11-2008 04:08 PM

Providing them with some shade will help. Increasing their numbers should also help, provided you have enough room for them. Six would be a good school size. These are shy fish, and without the safety and security a school provides, they may remain stressed and could eventually die.

okiemavis 11-13-2008 07:33 PM

Ghost fish are *very* shy, and it will take them a long time to become comfortable with the tank, even if they are in a large group. That being said, I wouldn't expect to really see the amazing nature of this fish unless it is in a group of 10+ fish. I recently saw a nicely planted tank with a giant school (30+) of these guys, and they looked INCREDIBLE. There aren't many fish that school as tightly as those guys.

iam1ru12 12-07-2008 06:18 AM

I have seven of them in a 50gal tank with other catfish. They form a tight school under the floating water lilies.

jeaninel 12-07-2008 02:12 PM

What other fish do you have in your tank? Maybe they are being stressed by one that is bullying them or makes them nervous.