Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   New guy a few questions..fish and tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/new-guy-few-questions-fish-tank-19028/)

Soccerfetus8 11-05-2008 08:21 PM

New guy a few questions..fish and tank

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 30 gallon tank with 2 Bala sharks and a gold fish. I noticed yesterday morning that one of my bala's dorsal fins is all red like blood shot. It also appears the internal body right under the fin is kinda red also. sorry cell pic is the best I could do. I have only had these 3 fish for a little over 2 months now. The gold fish has trippled in size atleast and is bigger then the bala but never shows any signs of picking on it. I'm wondering what could have caused this problem?

Secondly I have been testing the water every other week or so and everything was good fish were happy (still are) but I tested it today and the Nitrate level was higher then ever before 40-80ppm, the alkalinity was low 0-40 ppm and the ph has dropped to less the 6.2 ( the lowest color on my scale). What just did a 25% water change, what else should I do to get things back in check?

I would also like to get a few more fish... I like the looks of the clown loach but feel it will grow to big to fast in my tank. Is there any other fish very similar to it that will not get as big? Would I be ok putting 4-5 tiger barb's in with what I have? What about rainbow shark's or red tail sharks as I like the looks of both of them?

Picklee 11-05-2008 08:44 PM

More than likely septicemia. Treat with tetracycline.

iamntbatman 11-06-2008 12:07 AM

I can't address the illness as those symptoms aren't something I'm familiar with. However, before administering any sort of medication, I would absolutely work on improving your water quality. 40-80ppm of nitrate is very high. You should do water changes on a regular basis to keep it under 20 ppm if at all possible.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the fish you have aren't going to work out in the long term. The goldfish you have is a coldwater fish and thus needs to be in an unheated tank in order to thrive. The bala sharks, on the other hand, need tropical temperatures. Whether your tank is heated or not, some of your fish are suffering. If your goldfish is a fancy variety, a 30g tank is suitable for one goldfish for long-term care (although the bigger, the better). If it's a regular comet goldfish, it will grow very large and thus needs a much larger tank (75g would be good, 90g would be great). The bala sharks also need to be in a school of at least six and, as they grow to over a foot in length and are active swimmers, really need to be in a huge tank. You won't be able to keep them in a 30g tank for very long.

A school of tiger barbs and a single rainbow or red tailed shark would be much more appropriate for a 30g tank.

Soccerfetus8 11-06-2008 06:26 PM

What is the average growth rate of a bala shark? They are maybe 3-3.5 inches right now and seem content with the tank size. I have plans and ambitions to get a nice big tank when I get my own place in the next year or two but right now my apt can't handle much more then the 30 gallon I have. I do have the tank heated at this point and all the fish seem happy. The gold fish has grown the most and was just a simple $.15 from meijer when I bought him 2 months ago. I think I might go get the tiger barbs and a red tip shark this evening. Would 4 be a good number?

iamntbatman 11-06-2008 07:31 PM

I wouldn't add the tiger barbs until you get the nitrates under control, or they will likely not survive acclimation. They also might terrorize your goldfish so I wouldn't mix the two.

Balas are fairly slow growers, but will still hit 7-8 inches in a year's time.

If the goldfish was $0.15, he was likely a feeder goldfish, which is the same as a comet goldfish. These guys get to be real lunkers (as big as the balas but produce a lot more waste) so it will need a large, unheated aquarium of its own.

Charlie 11-08-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 151025)
I wouldn't add the tiger barbs until you get the nitrates under control, or they will likely not survive acclimation. They also might terrorize your goldfish so I wouldn't mix the two.

Balas are fairly slow growers, but will still hit 7-8 inches in a year's time.

If the goldfish was $0.15, he was likely a feeder goldfish, which is the same as a comet goldfish. These guys get to be real lunkers (as big as the balas but produce a lot more waste) so it will need a large, unheated aquarium of its own.

QFE... If you have no plans to get 2 gigantic tanks, one for the balas and then another for the goldie, I would recommend returning the goldfish to the store, or rehoming it in another way.