Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New to forum - looking for a little help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-forum-looking-little-help-19011/)

dlt3528 11-05-2008 09:38 AM

New to forum - looking for a little help

I have 2 freshwater tanks. I moved about 2 months ago and have just recently noticed there is a white gel-like substance that is forming in my aquarium filters. I am thinking that it is caused by the water in my new house, since I have never had this problem before. Is there something I am missing or should be concerned about? I don't want to assume it's not a problem and have detrimental results. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

1077 11-05-2008 10:13 AM

How long has it been since filters were changed? and what water conditioner are you using? Are there any other chemicals or medicines being used in the tanks? Do you have a liqid test kit to test water parameters? When was the last time you changed the water and how much water do you change and how often? what size are the tanks? what fish do you have? how often do you feed them? the answers to these questions will help those who may be able to offer assistance.

mattyphilly 11-05-2008 03:41 PM

did u add a piece of driftwood recently? My driftwood was covered in a white gel like substance.

dlt3528 11-06-2008 12:56 PM

I have a 55 gallon tank:

4 gourami
1 angelfish
2 leopard danios
2 hatchet fish
1 corydoras
1 acara
2 white skirt tetra
1 bristlenose pleco
1 king tiger pleco

And a 5 1/2 gallon tank:

2 porkchop rasbora
2 white cloud minnows
2 otocinclus catfish

I am using Tetra Aqua Safe water conditioner, which is something new in the past month or so. Could this be the culprit?? The tanks have been my new house for 2 months and I have done 3 water changes. The water parameters are fine. No other chemicals or medicines being used. I feed them twice a day, morning and night - sometimes only once. Basically everything is the same as it was in my old house, except for the new water conditioner and using the water from the new house. The same issue is happening in both tanks.

Kim 11-06-2008 03:07 PM

It could be a protein film. Does it form on the top of the tank as well? If it doesn't it could be just that there is sufficient current to keep it from forming. A protein film is perfectly safe for fish, although if it is on the top of the water in the tank and you have labrynth fish it may cause a problem. In the filter shouldn't be a problem if it is indeed a protein film.

Just as a side note, your corys, tetras and hatchets would prefer to be in larger groups. And as you have plenty of space that is what I would do IMO.:-)

dlt3528 11-06-2008 04:26 PM

Thank you, I appreciate the help. No it doesn't form on top of the water, just in the filter. The hatchets actually hang out with the danios. I have been thinking about getting a few more of the others though. Thanks for the advice!

iamntbatman 11-06-2008 08:09 PM

I use the same water conditioner, and I don't have that buildup problem. I really don't know what could be in your new water that would cause a buildup like that, but I guess it's possible. Just to add to what Kim said, the danios and rasboras are also schooling fish.

1077 11-07-2008 04:12 AM

You may wish to increase the water changes to once a week which is what most recommend for longterm health of fish. The water in an aquarium is drawn into the filter and then back into the tank. Over time the water quality will begin to deteriorate.Weekly water changes of 20 to 25 percent with dechlorinated new water and vaccuming a small area of the bottom a different area at each water change will help the fish to remain healthy. Three water changes in two months may work for a while, but eventually the water quality will begin to suffer and the effects on the fish will present themselves in the form of sick fish. Most will agree with this. Water parameters that are "fine" won't stay that way for long. Maintain your filters by swishing them around in old aquarium water during water changes and stick them back in or replace them when they begin to fall apart and can't be rinsed any more. Always rinse filters old or new in tank water not tapwater. When ever something out of the norm occurs with your tank the first thing many do is test the water to ensure that that is not the culprit but you need a quality test kit to do this. A good test kit that is used by many is API freshwater master kit. Calling your water parameters fine doesn't always mean this is true. You have a busy tank. I would not add any more fish .IMHO

dlt3528 11-07-2008 09:25 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback. It's great that everyone takes the time to help each other here. I will definitely get one of those test kits and increase the water changes. Thanks again!:-D

Tyyrlym 11-10-2008 02:53 PM

Get a test kit, it's cheaper in the long run. A test kit is good for ~100 of each test and you can get them for $15 + shipping.