Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Which liquid fertilizer is best? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/liquid-fertilizer-best-190089/)

JAYAONLINE 05-28-2013 02:07 PM

Which liquid fertilizer is best?

Hi,

In my local pet shop there are only two choices of liquid plant fertilizers:

1. King British - Aquatic Plant Food
2. Nurafin - Plant Gro

Which fertilizer would you recommend to promote healthy plants?

pH 6.8 - 7.2
ammonia 0
nitrites 50
nitrates 0
gH 125
kH 180
20 Gallon Long
Aqua Glo - T8 18000K Bulb

Byron 05-28-2013 05:17 PM

I tried to find some data on the King British product but can't. Without knowing what is in it, I can't say if it is better, equal or worse than the Nutrafin. The Nutrafin itself is not complete. If you can find me some online data for the King Br, I'll check it.

In your numbers, did you really mean nitrites at 50, or nitrates? The latter I hope, though this is dangerous too if it is in ppm.

What sort of plants are you considering? The Aqua-Glo tube is not very intense light. This is easily solved by changing the tube to a Life-Glo (about twice the intensity, plus a better colour rendition).

Byron.

Bongox3 05-29-2013 01:39 AM

Byron (as always) gave you outstanding advice... Depending on the plants too, you may want to also consider a plant oriented substrate and/or fert tabs... I use a combination of all three, plus co2, as some of my plants are chiefly root dependent, some leaves, some float, etc... I'm only familiar with the stuff offered here in the states, but most comprehensive online aquarium stores usually carry numerous brands... Here I'm using liquid flourish comprehensive, a root tab from aquariumplants.com, plus a commonly sold brand of planting substrate (which is old and needs a fert boost now and then)...algae pops up often, but nothing too crazy...just address it immediately when it appears...

JAYAONLINE 05-29-2013 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 2173753)
I tried to find some data on the King British product but can't. Without knowing what is in it, I can't say if it is better, equal or worse than the Nutrafin. The Nutrafin itself is not complete. If you can find me some online data for the King Br, I'll check it.

In your numbers, did you really mean nitrites at 50, or nitrates? The latter I hope, though this is dangerous too if it is in ppm.

What sort of plants are you considering? The Aqua-Glo tube is not very intense light. This is easily solved by changing the tube to a Life-Glo (about twice the intensity, plus a better colour rendition).

Byron.

Cheers once again Byron, I couldn't find much about KB even the packaging doesn't include the ingredients.

Yes I have them mixed up lol. Soz my bad!

Well I have Anubias, Java fern, Narrow Leaf Giant Hygro, Vallisnera, a Marimo Ball, Anacharis, Water Hyssop and I should be getting some water lettuce in the post today Majourity of the plants are doing well but others need a boost as some of the leaves are melting. The aqua glo really brings out the colour in my tank so if there's something even better than that I will deffo consider it.

Byron 05-29-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYAONLINE (Post 2178578)
Cheers once again Byron, I couldn't find much about KB even the packaging doesn't include the ingredients.

Yes I have them mixed up lol. Soz my bad!

Well I have Anubias, Java fern, Narrow Leaf Giant Hygro, Vallisnera, a Marimo Ball, Anacharis, Water Hyssop and I should be getting some water lettuce in the post today Majourity of the plants are doing well but others need a boost as some of the leaves are melting. The aqua glo really brings out the colour in my tank so if there's something even better than that I will deffo consider it.

Some of those plants will not last under the present tube, esp when floating plants are also used (and these are very good to have), so I would get the Life-Glo. It is twice the intensity, and at first it will look bright. Colour rendition is true to nature, so the highlight of red and blue you now have will be gone a bit, and the purplish hue to the tank will be gone. Life-Glo is a very nice light, I use it over all my single-tube tanks.

You might want to look online for some good fertilizer. I know of two that are available in the UK, Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, and Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. Both are much the same. You use very little, so the extra initial cost over time works out.

Byron.