Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   discus.. i am doing the right thing? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/discus-i-am-doing-right-thing-18949/)

MRQuad 11-02-2008 01:53 AM

discus.. i am doing the right thing?

i have 11 juvies in my BB tank..
- feed them 6 times a day..
- change the water everyday up to 25% of the tank.
- try to force them to eat NLS-Discus Pellets. (so far, i only see 6 of them eating, i don't know the others when im gone.. hope they eat too)
- temp is 28C
- cover the tank that they could not see someone in the room.. because, if they see someone in the room or pass their tank, they were all going crazy.. it's like a ball bouncing around.. i'm afraid that that might make them stress.

what else did i miss guys? please, give me advise.. i want to provide them with a perfect care.. thanks!

1077 11-02-2008 01:43 AM

Some small discus, at least the ones I care for have trouble with pellets. you may wish to try soaking the food in aquarium water for a minute or two to soften it. I would also have other foods available in case they simply refuse the pellets.;-)

MRQuad 11-02-2008 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 150361)
Some small discus, at least the ones I care for have trouble with pellets. you may wish to try soaking the food in aquarium water for a minute or two to soften it. I would also have other foods available in case they simply refuse the pellets.;-)

hi, it's me again, with another question eh? :lol: thanks for the input sir.. the pellets that i gave them is a sinking pellets, actually i just notice that almost all of them got a big belly, i think they all ate when i'm gone, yeeepeeyy! atleast, i don't have to worry feeding them..

thanks!

1077 11-02-2008 01:52 AM

That is good news. With your feeding schedule and water changes they should do well. Are you planning on moving them to larger tank as they grow?

MRQuad 11-02-2008 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 150363)
That is good news. With your feeding schedule and water changes they should do well. Are you planning on moving them to larger tank as they grow?

thanks sir.. if they will outgrow the tank, im sure they will, i have my 100G anyways, and i think i will get rid of my mbuna cichlids and concentrate on discus.. heheh.. hope i'll be successful. :-D

InsaneoMan 11-03-2008 12:42 AM

im not very educated on Discus, but feeding 6 times a day and doing a 25% water change every day seems excessive to me.

iamntbatman 11-04-2008 01:42 AM

As far as I know, frequent feedings and water changes are pretty much standard practice when it comes to caring for discus, especially young ones.