Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Zebra danios dying (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/zebra-danios-dying-18878/)

projectcam95 10-28-2008 07:50 AM

Zebra danios dying

I had 4 zebra danios that cycled my tank. They are dying one by one. They stop eating till they are super skinny. Then they die.

I had 4 now i have 2 .

water parameters seem fine. Could it be that my Bolivian Ram is stressing them?

Lupin 10-29-2008 07:39 PM

What size is this tank? If you certainly used them to cycle the tank, then they are bound not to last due to the permanent damage subjected to them from the presence of ammonia and nitrites. Sorry to hear that.

okiemavis 10-29-2008 07:56 PM

Sounds like it may be internal parasites...

projectcam95 10-30-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 149955)
What size is this tank? If you certainly used them to cycle the tank, then they are bound not to last due to the permanent damage subjected to them from the presence of ammonia and nitrites. Sorry to hear that.

I hope this is the case. My tank is a 29g. I cycled it for like a 6 to 8 weeks with the zebra. After everything was stable i bought the bolivian ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiemavis (Post 149959)
Sounds like it may be internal parasites...

Think it can affect my Ram? There is another zebra getting skinnier . When i feed my fish he goes up to the food real fast but doesn't open his mouth . The other left zebra eats well and so does my Bolivian Ram

iamntbatman 10-30-2008 04:04 PM

I used the same group of zebra danios to cycle...four or five different tanks? I didn't lose a single fish, and the first tank I cycled with these exact danios was well before I really knew what I was doing so who knows how much ammonia and nitrite they were exposed to. If I had to guess, I would say there's something else going on, and internal parasites seem like a likely offender to me.

willow 10-30-2008 04:15 PM

hmmm i think i would agree with the others too.
sorry for your losses.

projectcam95 10-31-2008 11:10 PM

Yeah . Their gills are getting a little red I think.

willow 11-01-2008 05:38 AM

can you post the exact results please.
is there any amonia in the results. ?

projectcam95 11-01-2008 03:44 PM

I ran out of strip tests... I mailed ordered a 5 liquid test kit . But I do have a separate liquid test kit for ammonia and ph.

Right now it looks like its between .25 or .50 . I understand that this is unsafe for the fish right? So ive added some prime .

I just did a wc yesterday. Should I do another?

willow 11-01-2008 07:25 PM

hi
yes i would do another water change,adding dechlorinator too.
have you cleaned your filter at all ?and if you have how did you do it
please.
would it be possible for you to fill a container(cup)with your tap water
and test that,then leave the water in the cup over night then test it again,and let us know
your findings.
in a cycled tank you shouldn't have amonia,nitrites,
just a show of nitrAtes.