Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   getting started (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/getting-started-1883/)

tinymitymo 12-16-2006 06:05 PM

getting started

Hi all
I have bought my kids a 28 g bowfront aquarium for the holidays. We currently have a 1.5g with a betta a snail and plastic plants and a 2g with a betta, 2 snails, 2 mosquito fish and a few strands of live gooseweed. The gooseweed, mosquito fish and 3 snails were all started as a school project by my 9 year old. After it sat in it's little 2 liter soda bottle ecosystem in my kitchen window for two months we upgraded to the 2g (and bought the 2 bettas then). Both kids are still really into the fish so we told them we would get a bigger aquarium for Christmas (the 9 year old thinks it will be a 5 gallon - I expect a couple of very excited kids when they see how big a one we got).
I think I want to leave the two baby tanks alone and start fresh with the big one. I know it needs to cycle and I think I can swish the filter from the 2g (Eclipse) into it to help start it. I have water testing reagents for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
I'd like some advice on stocking. I think I'd like a couple of low maintenance live plants and my son really likes the look of the neon tetras. I guess I'll need to get one or two small bottom feeders in there.
Will we be able to have other fish besides a small school of neons and something to eat algae/fish poop?
Thanks for any help in advance

Lupin 12-16-2006 08:01 PM

Hi and welcome aboard.:wave:

Did you mean those fish you are asking like the neons will be for the 28 gallons?:) If so, of course, you can have other fish.
Surface
Danios are good options to occupy the surface. They are also quite hardy and are nout fuzzy with various water conditions.
Middle
Aside from a shoal of neons(6 or more is recommended in number), you can try diamond tetras, lemon tetras, harlequin rasboras and hengeli rasboras. I wouldn't buy neons at the moment until your tank matures to 6 months as neons are not really very hardy. Lemon tetras will be a good start along with diamond tetras.:)
Bottom
Bristlenose are good options. Get only one as they can be mildly territorial against each other. Otos are also good at consuming algae though I wouldn't get them until your tank reaches 6months of maturity. Otos can be quite sensitive to water conditions.

No fish can really eat detritus which I expect has been said by most people who are quite ignorant of what the fish really needs.:blueworry: I have heard of people here that common plecs eat poo but this is wrong. They need food as other fish do. Ghost shrimps and Malayan Trumpet Snails are good at eating detritus though I must warn you that MTS are a pain to remove but still, they are the best options as the way they dig into the bottom, it helps prevent the appearance of anaerobic spots which can release toxins thereby killing your fish.

What is your filter? You'll need heater to maintain the constant temperature as temperature changes often have dire consequences to the fish.

As for plants, javan ferns, javan moss and anubias are recommended. They require low light so they are good options.

Cycling
What method of cycling will you use? If you use cycling with fish, danios will be the best choice you can have when cycling. As mentioned previously, they are quite hardy and will survive the cycling process unlike most other fish.

HTH
Blue

trreherd 12-16-2006 09:16 PM

a great bottom feeding fish that only reaches 2 inches is the corrry catfish they are schooling.(i have one and its my favorite fish)
i know your kid would love glass catfish. they are not bottom feeders but they still have the wiskers but the kids would love them cause you can see rite through them!
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...catid=2519&N=0
I think some neons and a some glass cats and some corry cats and maybe a pleco(bottom dweller) would be great.
another great fish your kid would love are guppies, get some males and female and they will mate in your tank and your kids would love to wathch the baby fish.
just remember to not to buy any large fish or fish that will become large(the kids will prolly want to get a big fish) and follow the rule of thum of about 1 inch of fish per gallon of water in the tank. although in my 5 gallon tank i have about 7 iches of fish but i do a lot of maintanes.
i found one of the best ways to ensure a healthey tank inviornment is to do weekly gravel vacs/water changes. My tank was always cloudy but when i started gravel vacing the water cleared.
browse that website i showed you for some ideas for your new tank.
In my tank i have anarchis plant it is a good looking plant but it will need to be trimmed from time to time.

tinymitymo 12-16-2006 09:34 PM

I know it is kinder to do a fishless cycle but I know we will all be impatient. I have a little castle ornament thingy in the two gallon. If I move this into the 28 g and swish the filter from the 2g in the water of the 28g will that seed enough bacteria over to start with a few small Danios after a few days of just a pinch of fish food? I know I need to add the fish slowly so that the bacteria grow enough to handle the extra ammonia generated.
I think the betta in the two gallon has been squeezing into the castle and tearing his fins a little. I will get a new ornament for that tank that has a bit bigger opening for him.
As far as the filter and heater and stuff. I got a Topfin aquarium that had a bunch of that stuff included. Right now it is hiding over at the neighbors house so that it can magically appear Christmas morning so I'm not sure what all is in the box. We will set up the stand and just put the empty tank on it for the surprise in the morning as I know it doesn't have any gravel or other substrate included and that will need to be first in.

Boy oh boy - is it Christmas yet? :D

Lupin 12-16-2006 09:35 PM

Nice post, Trreherd.:) I forgot about cories.:mrgreen:

Lupin 12-16-2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinymitymo
I know it is kinder to do a fishless cycle but I know we will all be impatient. I have a little castle ornament thingy in the two gallon. If I move this into the 28 g and swish the filter from the 2g in the water of the 28g will that seed enough bacteria over to start with a few small Danios after a few days of just a pinch of fish food? I know I need to add the fish slowly so that the bacteria grow enough to handle the extra ammonia generated.

Should be ok although you may try getting your lfs' filter media. How long has your 2g tank been running? If it has been running for a short time and may not have cycled, your lfs' filter media would be your best option. Oh,I wouldn't use ornaments like castles if I were you. They're just unnatural.:mrgreen: Some bogwood and plants will make your tank loonk more natural. Fake bogwood is fine as it looks natural too. Be aware real bogwood tend to leach out tannins so the water may become yellowish. Not harmful at all and neons and cories will definitely love that kind of environment.
Quote:

Boy oh boy - is it Christmas yet? :D
Less than a week yet.:shake: I'm so impatient.:sob: :quiet:

tinymitymo 12-16-2006 09:52 PM

the 2g has been up and running for about 5-6 weeks but I moved the gravel, fish, snails and plants over from the soda bottle ecosystem that was set up in September.

I like the natural look too but my 9 year old wanted the castle for his fish and since it is his tank we let him pick.

Lupin 12-16-2006 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinymitymo
the 2g has been up and running for about 5-6 weeks but I moved the gravel, fish, snails and plants over from the soda bottle ecosystem that was set up in September.

Ok. You can go to that.:) What filter were you using? Filtration should be sufficient for a 28 gallons tank.:)

trreherd 12-16-2006 10:00 PM

I was going to tell you to take a rubermaid bin fill it up with water,fish,gravel and hook up your filter, start cycling your filter and your gravel in it with some fish and then set is all up christmas morning but i just remembered your kids are yung so how would you explain santa leaving a pre seeded filter and gravel with the tank lol
Ya i would say you should take some filter media from you old tank and put it in the new filter and put some hardy fish in and wait two weeks.

Lupin 12-16-2006 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trreherd
I was going to tell you to take a rubermaid bin fill it up with water,fish,gravel and hook up your filter, start cycling your filter and your gravel in it with some fish and then set is all up christmas morning but i just remembered your kids are yung so how would you explain santa leaving a pre seeded filter and gravel with the tank lol

:bluelaugh: :bluelaugh:
Hide it in the basement?:mrgreen: