Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Alternative to fish flakes? and lowering PH (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/alternative-fish-flakes-lowering-ph-188161/)

Tarutan 05-26-2013 08:25 AM

Alternative to fish flakes? and lowering PH

Is there an alternative to fish flakes? I have a 10 gallon planted freshwater tank kept at 79degrees and 2 platties and 1 dwarf frog, and some driftwood. The filter creates enough of a surface current(even at low setting) in my small tank to keep the flakes circulating fast, making it harder for the fish to catch and so they are starting to go after the frog's pellets on the sand substrate. Some of it gets pushed underwater too. Any ideas how to remedy this? I don't want to have to unplug the filter at every feeding.

Also the PH is reading 8.2. Is this too alkaline for my setup? Plants include anubias, cryptocyrnes, and wisterias. I added some PH down but I don't know if it is necessary to change the PH or not?

AbbeysDad 05-26-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarutan (Post 2153209)
Is there an alternative to fish flakes? I have a 10 gallon planted freshwater tank kept at 79degrees and 2 platties and 1 dwarf frog, and some driftwood. The filter creates enough of a surface current(even at low setting) in my small tank to keep the flakes circulating fast, making it harder for the fish to catch and so they are starting to go after the frog's pellets on the sand substrate. Some of it gets pushed underwater too. Any ideas how to remedy this? I don't want to have to unplug the filter at every feeding.

Also the PH is reading 8.2. Is this too alkaline for my setup? Plants include anubias, cryptocyrnes, and wisterias. I added some PH down but I don't know if it is necessary to change the PH or not?

You have several options for the flake/filter issue:
1) you could create a baffle from a water bottle to better disperse the filter return water. (check the DIY section for details).
2) A remote switch for the filter.
3) There are sinking pellet foods (most often used for bottom feeders) you could try.

pH may or may not be an issue for your fish. I always try and suggest not to mess with pH as it can be difficult to maintain changes and drifting pH can be worse than steady extremes. Monitor your fish/plants with your existing pH over a period and then determine if you really need to mess with pH.

Note: If you feel the high pH is an issue, you might try Seachem Neutral Regulator (just a thought).

Byron 05-26-2013 11:49 AM

On the pH, leave it alone. The platy will be fine.

The info in our profile of the African Dwarf Frog (I asume this is what you have) says pH 6 to 7.5, and while I am not at all knowledgeable on this frog, I can't see a higher pH causing trouble for an air-breathing frog.

Chemicals to adjust pH seldom work, resulting in fluctuating pH which is very stressful on any fish. And as I said, your platy is fine with a basic (above 7) pH.

The GH is more important, but we can assume it is sufficient if the pH is 8, though this doesn't necessarily follow.:-)

Byron.