Tropical Fish Keeping banner

my 1st community tank and some of my lovely fish

6K views 44 replies 11 participants last post by  wendex 
#1 ·
Just changed water so water a little sandy hope you like - not such a good camera had to stick it right up to glass :eek:) really liking taking pics though and i think the fish are starting to get used to me lurking with the camera so more to come me thinks hehe may have to invest in a better camera (maybe santa will be good to me this year lol)

Attachments

See less See more
#28 ·
Been a few changes :)

Hi all,

Had a problem with cloudy water of late and was going to wait til it cleared completely but couldn't resist taking some shots with the kittens - it all started off innocent enough then got a bit out of hand! - but the fish didn't seem bothered at all by the attention.

been a few changes - got rid of background pic as I noticed a lot of tanks pictured on here don't have one and look much better ;) - put sand in for cories (wish it was darker though now it's in tank) all the life plants I had were eaten! except the grass like plant which is spreading nicely in between the tunnels - and I got another bigger tunnel at front of tank which the barbs and gouramis like swimming in as well.

hope you like

Attachments

#29 ·
haha great pictures,bless them kitties.
i have a question for you about the filter you use please :)
how is the flow ? reason for asking is that i think i have been given the same one,
and when i tried it,the flow was really slow,it hadn't been used in ages.
i want it really just for extra flow up top,as i don't have a spray bar,and
i think i want one:crazy:

#30 ·
Hey Willow

The filter came with the tank as part of a package deal and I really don't know much about filters and can't advise really - but in the pics I took I've got the bubbles turned down very low cause it creates a lot of air bubbles in the water and I wanted the water to be as clear as poss. - but you can turn the blue nozzle at the top and it makes more bubbles (which is how I usually have it) and there is a blue slider half way down which also increases the current (I think) I usually just have it half way. It's great for my small tank. Tell you what I'm taking pics of the fish now (my cories are hiding though:( and they usually come out in the evening but they were very active today!) :O) I'll take a shot of the filter if it helps any.

Btw out of interest I tried to see pics of your tanks and for some reason they don't show? Be nice to see some :) i'm sure I saw a picture of a tank uv got with flowers in it was really pretty.

Attachments

#31 ·
These are the best shots tonight and you can just see one cory hiding in the big tunnel. Still trying to work out best setting on camera - used the flash this time which doesn't show off the beautiful colours of the fish very well - but when I tried without for some reason the focus is off? Love my fishies :-D

Attachments

#32 ·
thanks for the info.
i might have a go at installing it tomorrow,been busy collecting
the eggs from my albino corydoras :)
the gourami is lovley by the way :)

#36 ·
Nothing exciting today, just some frozen shrimp, snail trap and a large fern like fake plant to replace the one that was eaten! not as nice as the real thing but the gouramis don't seem to mind they've been hiding/swimming in is so I think they like :)

I was looking at small tanks (10ish gallons) for DPuffers but instead I saw a really neat 120litre tank - so I figure it would be better to get that for the fish I've got (I'm sure they'd love a bigger tank to explore) and then use my 63l tank for the puffers, cos they really need a well established tank from what I've found out so far. Think maybe about 4 or 5 DP and 3 ottos, I'm currently doing a bit of research to work out the ratio of these little fish to litres. May be a little while to wait b4 getting the tank but it's fun doing the research into keeping these fish.

My cories were out in force this afternoon - think it may have been the shrimp that got them all excited :) but my camera batteries needed charging!! typical they're all chilling in their hiding places now :frustrated: I may have to feed the fish a little more later :)

#37 ·
new tank :) thast will be nice.
will you increase the fish amounts ?
i had DPs in a 10glln,i found them easier to see lol.
i changed them to a juwel rekord 96,and apart from feeding time,i never got to see them
that much.

#38 ·
Yeah I've read that smaller 10 gallon is better for that very reason - I think 63 litres in about 15 us gallons so I'm hoping it'll be alright. I've seen big rock formations that go at the back/side of the tank and if I use something like that the tank capacity will be made smaller and it's not something they can hide in or behind - think it may well work out.

I may get a few more fish for the bigger community tank, I would love to get a couple of angels - which are the fish that I wanted when I first got my tank (but it was only after I'd set it up that I realised it wasn't big enough - beginners mistake!) but I read that they may not like being with the cherries. I also love sharks but I haven't looked into how big a tank they need or compatibility yet I'm guessing my shy dwarf honeys wont like. But I'll keep you posted - and try and get some good pics of all the fish together cos it's lovely when they're all out and about :)

#42 ·
I'm happy with my tank but urs is amazing the layout just shows off all the fish beautifully and it looks like a lovely home for them - it would be nice to see any more tanks uv got cos I can't see ur old pictures for some reason. Thanks for posting them Willow.

#43 ·
maybe i deleted them in photo bucket. would be at all surprised ! lol
thank you. :) i'm pleased with my tank now at long last,it's taken me ages.
i used to run a ten glln with dwarf puffers in,and also a juwel rekord 96 l.
however they got shut down,and the juwel had the lizards in it for a while.
the juwel is sitting empty in my living room as we speak,and as i gaze at it longingly
i don't know if i should start it up or not.
i would like to try a small salt water tank,but i'm worried i would cause more carnage
than have a lovley looking tank.
the thought of a perhaps having a pulsing zenia and some fire shrimp is almost
to much to bare.

#44 ·
Come on willow. You know you want to! I know I wouldn't be able to resist an empty tank sitting in my living room. LOL

#45 ·
I don't think it'll be empty for much longer ;)

I avoid looking at the salt water pictures as much as possible cos I know i'm going to want to have a go but it's just so much harder than fresh water you've really got to know what ur doing to provide the right environment for the fish - but I'm sure with ur experience fish keeping you'll be just fine and I'd say go for it. If I get the chance to do salt water in the future I'd have to go for a mega size tank cos I'd want a big puffer fish :)

If I had an empty 63l tank i think I'd love to have it devoted to dwarf honey gouramis and maybe some other dwarf gouramis all different colours (don't actually know if they mix but it would look beautiful and I'd have ottos with them. It's nice to dream :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.