Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   my 1st community tank and some of my lovely fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/my-1st-community-tank-some-my-18810/)

wendex 10-24-2008 06:35 PM

my 1st community tank and some of my lovely fish

10 Attachment(s)
Just changed water so water a little sandy hope you like - not such a good camera had to stick it right up to glass :o) really liking taking pics though and i think the fish are starting to get used to me lurking with the camera so more to come me thinks hehe may have to invest in a better camera (maybe santa will be good to me this year lol)

crazy4fish 10-24-2008 06:40 PM

those are good pics! nice fish they are so cute... so is the shrimp! how big is your tank?

wendex 10-24-2008 06:50 PM

Hi thanks :o) the tank is only small :o( 63litres (uk) which I think is about 16 us gallons (been a while since I checked on conversion table)

60cm long, 30cm wide, 35 cm high

Already planning my next - BIGGER tank (but have to wait) I love keeping fish :o)

jeaninel 10-24-2008 09:23 PM

Great pics! I love the first one of the cory peeking out from the hole in the wood.

onefish2fish 10-24-2008 11:13 PM

nice pictures! i like the shrimp.

could you post a list of what exactly you have stocked in it?

wendex 10-25-2008 04:27 AM

I've got:

2 male dwarf honey gouramis
3 cherry barbs (1m, 2f)
5 cardinal tetras (6 originally)
and 6 corys (all same species) - originally 2 but I was told that I wouldn't be over stocked if I increased to 6 and they'd be happier, hope this is right.

got 3 cherry shrimp (which I thought were eaten when I didn't see them for a week so I got 4 pinocio or long nose shimp and the cherrys came out BIGGER!)

I got an air stone in tank as I thought it night help as it's well stocked and I clean the bottom 2 times a week - water change once a week.

I like the tanks with plants in the middle of tank as well as at the side but not able to do that as tank's small.

willow 10-25-2008 06:48 AM

Lovley tank. :)
i like the honeys,never able to keep them myself,
great picture of the shrimp.

Amphitrite 10-25-2008 07:15 AM

You have a lovely setup there Wendex, great job - it looks fantastic! :-D

wendex 10-25-2008 07:19 AM

hi thanks Willow. When I set the tank up i wasn't planning on corys cos I thought they'd all be 2 big 4 tank so I put gravel in. Then when I got the 2 corys I put a sand area in the corner of the tank but now I've got 6 corys I'm thinking of putting more sand in maybe 80% of bottom if not all, is it ok to put it on top of the gravel or should I remove most of the gravel first?

Sand is a bit of a pain cos it makes the water cloudy when you clean the tank and when they dig around in it, but if it's what they like who am I to complain eh.

wendex 10-25-2008 09:09 AM

just setting up to get email notification so I don't have to keep logging on to check - thought it was already set up - must have stopped when site changed and it's taken me a couple of days to twig ;-)