Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   HY511 Tetra (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/hy511-tetra-187929/)

BarbH 05-25-2013 08:41 PM

HY511 Tetra

When I originally started to research these guys I was thinking that they were the same as Robert's tetras. After having these in my tank for about a month now and comparing pictures of Robert's tetras and these guys they are not the same, although they do come from the Hyphessobrycon genus and are from the rosy tetra clade. The look a lot like the Rosy tetras, but there are some slight differences in the coloring of their fins. From the research that I have done I have not been able to find much, no scientific name other than a destination number HY511 or also have seen Hyphessobrycon sp. I have also seen them referred to as Candycane Tetras, seen them sold that way at one of the LFS, another LFS I have seen them at refers to them by HY511. Also online I have seen the names Peppermint tetra and also White fin Rosy Tetra. The first week or so in the tank they were a bit shy but have really come around and one of the first to be at the top of the tank while feeding. Mine I have seen at all areas of the tank although the prefer mostly the middle of the tank. I have quite a bit of stem plants floating in my set up which I do see them swimming among from time to time. So far they have been very peaceful and spend much of their time swimming around the tank with each other, and also will see them and my Rummy Nose tetras swimming with them also.

If anyone knows of any other places to look for more information on these guys it would be appreciated. Also for anyone who is looking for a larger size tetra for a peaceful community tank I would definitely recommend these guys based on my experience with them so far. A few pictures :-D

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...937revised.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...001revised.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...976revised.jpg

Byron 05-26-2013 12:24 PM

This is more likely a variant derived from Hyphessobrycon rosaceus rather than Hyphessobrycon bentosi, notwithstanding that many online sources will assume the latter. Weitzman & Palmer sorted out this confusion between the two species (and the H. roberti) in 1997, and their results are noted in our profiles. But as with any similar confusion, it can be slow to gain widespread acceptance as many will still use outdated reference material like the Aquarium Atlas or something.

If you check the photos in our profiles, you will note that the "candy cane" is nearly identical to H. rosaceus in the fin white markings, something which is completely absent in the true H. bentosi. But whether this is a distinct species, or just a variant developed by selective breeding, I can't say; I have never found anything specific on this.

Byron.

BarbH 05-26-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 2154673)
This is more likely a variant derived from Hyphessobrycon rosaceus rather than Hyphessobrycon bentosi, notwithstanding that many online sources will assume the latter. Weitzman & Palmer sorted out this confusion between the two species (and the H. roberti) in 1997, and their results are noted in our profiles. But as with any similar confusion, it can be slow to gain widespread acceptance as many will still use outdated reference material like the Aquarium Atlas or something.

If you check the photos in our profiles, you will note that the "candy cane" is nearly identical to H. rosaceus in the fin white markings, something which is completely absent in the true H. bentosi. But whether this is a distinct species, or just a variant developed by selective breeding, I can't say; I have never found anything specific on this.

Byron.

Thanks for the info Byron, and I agree. When comparing pictures of the fish these guys look very similar to H. rosaceus expect for the difference in the markings on the dorsal fin. Have also observed this morning these guys and my rummy noses doing a bit of that tetra sparring. Have before now observed them swimming together and at times the groups intermingling. After reading through the profile again I see that this is common behavior with the different species from the rosy terra clade. From what I have seen there doesn't seem to be much info on these guys. Will be interesting a time goes on if any more information is published about then.

Byron 05-26-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbH (Post 2155129)
Thanks for the info Byron, and I agree. When comparing pictures of the fish these guys look very similar to H. rosaceus expect for the difference in the markings on the dorsal fin. Have also observed this morning these guys and my rummy noses doing a bit of that tetra sparring. Have before now observed them swimming together and at times the groups intermingling. After reading through the profile again I see that this is common behavior with the different species from the rosy terra clade. From what I have seen there doesn't seem to be much info on these guys. Will be interesting a time goes on if any more information is published about then.

Just thinking that we need to consult an expert... seems time I touched base with my friend Heiko Bleher again, and if anyone will know whether this "candycane" is a true species or not, he will.:-)

BarbH 05-26-2013 04:41 PM

Sounds good Byron, I know that at the lfs they say that it is a new species that was discovered. From the research that I have done I have seen post on these guys come up from about 1998 or so, if memory serves me correct. Would definitely be interested to know if the experts consider them to be a true species, or a variation. Either way I have really enjoyed these guys so far, but inquiring minds do want to know ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

BarbH 07-13-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 2155617)
Just thinking that we need to consult an expert... seems time I touched base with my friend Heiko Bleher again, and if anyone will know whether this "candycane" is a true species or not, he will.:-)

Hi Byron
Was wondering if you had a chance to get in touch with Heiko Bleher and if so what the consenus was with the experts with the"candycane" being it's own species or not?
Thanks

NewFishFiend 07-13-2013 01:58 AM

Hey i have these guys in my tank too! They were sold to me as Candy Cane tetras and when I did research i thought they were H. Bentos. That's what I have been calling them. I have a group of 11 in my tank and they are not shy at all. They stay in the middle of the water column and zoom all around. Lemme see if I have some pics

NewFishFiend 07-13-2013 02:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well i dont have any pics specifically of them, but you can see them in the background. Same fish?