Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Moving Fish Around - Does This Sound OK? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/moving-fish-around-does-sound-ok-187809/)

Robbin48 05-25-2013 05:56 PM

Moving Fish Around - Does This Sound OK?

I recently got a 75g tank and a friend was tearing his down so asked me to take his fish. I ended up with 7 Rosy Barbs, 1 Swordtail, 2 Ladder Loach, 2 Kuhli Loach (I know - numbers!) 1 Bristlenose and 1 OTO (again - numbers !).

My question is, I also have a 37g tall and I want to move my 12 Diamond Tetra and 7 Black Widow Tetra to the 75g. From what I have read, they should all be OK together. I believe I should also increase the loaches and oto's as well. Will they all fit? It is pretty heavily planted with floaters as well, sand and fully cycled.

I think this will work, but any advice and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.....

Byron 05-26-2013 12:09 PM

Seems OK, though I would put the kuhlii in the 37g and not in with the other loach. No particular reason other than... seems better given sizes. Kuhli loach are best with sand, the other loach is OK with sand or fine gravel.

Definitely increase the loaches to five minimum, both species. Remember, the Ladder Loach, which is Botia rostrata (check the profile), gets 8 inches in length.

Byron.

Robbin48 05-26-2013 12:35 PM

Thank you Byron...I realized when they came they are almost at the 8 inches now ! I've not had loaches before, not too sure about them yet, but they are living with me now so have to do what is best for them :-)

Should I increase the oto's as well? I read they like company too....

Nikiller97 05-26-2013 01:23 PM

Yes you could put all the fish in the 75 and for the 37 you could set up some taller live plants and one larger log of some sort and put in some piranhas. My friend has a 40 tall and put a very cool live wood log from our local petco and then a few Amazonian plants to give color then ordered 15 red belly piranhas for it. I went over the day his piranhas got their after a month of tank cycling and I put in the new fish. Every day he puts in a couple small rodents in the afternoon and watches the feeding frenzy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Robbin48 05-26-2013 01:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestion N, but, uh, no.....I lived in Africa for a few years and had to be very careful where you stepped (especially in bare feet!) and what water you went in, so I really like being able to put my hand in the tank and still have all my fingers :shock:

Byron 05-26-2013 02:03 PM

Yes on the otos, I've found five works.

Be careful on the loaches, as the two you have are obviously mature. Make sure there are lots of hiding spots, and the best method for this with the smaller (as the new additions will be) is chunks of wood like Malaysian Driftwood. Lots of it. You can find pieces that have tunnels, and this is what you need. I have three loach species in two tanks, and each loach likes to select its home, and if there are insufficient they will fight. But in this case, you have two that are in "their" space, and additions may or may not be appreciated.

Byron.

Robbin48 05-27-2013 10:47 PM

Thanks again Byron...I have two pieces of driftwood right now, but will look for another one or maybe two..I love the look of it as well. The two different loaches are ignoring each other from what I have observed, but I am keeping a close eye on the Ladder's and watching for anything with just the two.

I am going to get at least four more otos too, they are such fascinating little creatures..