Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   15 gallon stocking help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/15-gallon-stocking-help-187721/)

gema 05-25-2013 03:45 PM

15 gallon stocking help
 
I have asked a similar question a while ago but since then things have changed slightly.

I currently have a planted 15gal with 8 neon tetras and 2 male guppies, and an empty 5gal which will soon be setup.

Originally in the 15 I wanted 8 neons, 4 male guppies and 5 pygmy cories. But I feel this may be a little overstocked? So instead I'm thinking maybe the guppies move into the 5gal once it's cycled and adding a dwarf gourami to the 15 gal instead of the guppies and cories. Does this sound like better stocking?

I am open to suggestions as well.

Thanks heaps:-):-D

gema 05-25-2013 04:19 PM

According to AqAdvisor.

8 neons, 4 guppies and 5 cories is 85% stocked
8 neons and 1 dwarf gourami is 55% stocked

Byron 05-26-2013 12:03 PM

I would not put any of these mentioned fish in a 5g. It would make a nice QT.

The dwarf gourami is not the best match for the other fish. Another small shoaling fish would be better (and increase the corys to 10-12 for the pygmy cory).

Byron.

Nikiller97 05-26-2013 01:34 PM

If you are going to add any gourami add a very young honey dwarf gourami and use the 5 gallon as a quarantine
Posted via Mobile Device

gema 05-26-2013 02:58 PM

They dwarf gourami was just an idea. I brought the 5gal as a betta tank but then freaked out thinking the 15 would be overstocked, but if the 15 isn't going to be overstocked then that's ok :-D thanks heaps.

So 8 neons, 4 guppies and add more cories? 8 maybe? Lol I'm quite paranoid about overstocking :-? I would quite like habrosus cory over the pygmy but all I can find is pygmy in my area.

Byron 05-26-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gema (Post 2155913)
They dwarf gourami was just an idea. I brought the 5gal as a betta tank but then freaked out thinking the 15 would be overstocked, but if the 15 isn't going to be overstocked then that's ok :-D thanks heaps.

So 8 neons, 4 guppies and add more cories? 8 maybe? Lol I'm quite paranoid about overstocking :-? I would quite like habrosus cory over the pygmy but all I can find is pygmy in my area.

If you go with one of the "dwarf" species of cory, 12 is a good number; the more the better for these little guys. However, I must say that I do not have that much luck with these, and I've no idea why. I have many wild-caught species, they spawn regularly. But the C. pygmaeus and C. habrosus do not do at all well. The only thing it might be now is temperature, they do not like it warm.

If you go with one of the other "normal" corys, 5-6 is a good number for one species, or if you decide on two species, 3-4 of each.

Byron.

gema 05-26-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 2155985)
If you go with one of the "dwarf" species of cory, 12 is a good number; the more the better for these little guys. However, I must say that I do not have that much luck with these, and I've no idea why. I have many wild-caught species, they spawn regularly. But the C. pygmaeus and C. habrosus do not do at all well. The only thing it might be now is temperature, they do not like it warm.

If you go with one of the other "normal" corys, 5-6 is a good number for one species, or if you decide on two species, 3-4 of each.

Byron.

If I go for the "normal" species what kind would you suggest for my size tank and how many? I also like the panda cories but I never really considered them as I just assumed that a group would be too large for my tank and would hate to subject my poor fishes to cramped conditions.

Byron 05-26-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gema (Post 2156121)
If I go for the "normal" species what kind would you suggest for my size tank and how many? I also like the panda cories but I never really considered them as I just assumed that a group would be too large for my tank and would hate to subject my poor fishes to cramped conditions.

With a very few exceptions, all of the "normal" corys are about the same size and requirements are identical. C. panda is a cute cory. We have many in our profiles, do a search using "corydoras" and it will bring up the list, then check each one. Some are more readily available than others, as many are wild-caught and thus seasonal according to collection times allowed by law in South American countries.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2