Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Good Light? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/good-light-18764/)

McFishin' 10-22-2008 03:35 PM

Good Light?

I'm looking into buying a light from a guy on craigslist and the description he gives is "built in sunpaq 4x65 watt lighting for corals and live rock." It's going onto a 55 gallon tank. I would like to have corals (bubble, toadstools, frogspawn, etc.) is this a good light?

SKAustin 10-22-2008 04:27 PM

That light unit in a 55 is good for most soft corals, and some LPS corals. There are a very few SPS corals that do well in low lighting. I'm not sure about the quality of that unit, but it will provide suitable lighting for any Low or Low/Moderate light corals.

McFishin' 10-22-2008 06:01 PM

Will the corals I mentioned in my first post do ok? I think they are soft corals, right? Also, someone mentioned that inadequate lighting will lead to algae problems. Do you think I'll be ok as long as I use RO water and have a good clean up crew?

SKAustin 10-22-2008 08:23 PM

Sarcophyton, Frogspawn, Hammers, Torch, Zoanthids, Palythoas, Protopalythoas, Green Star Polyps, Kenya Trees, Sinularias, Mushrooms, Ricordea Mushrooms, Favia Brains, Finger Leathers, Chili Leathers, Caulastrea, Yellow Polyps, Plate Corals. These are all corals I have successfully kept under 4x65w pc lighting.

As for nuisance algae growth, The concern is more improper lighting than inadequate lighting. Old bulbs will begin to degrade and the color temperature changes. When this happens, the spectrum of lighting moves closer to the temperature at which nuisance algaes thrive.

As long as the bulbs are replaced each year, that lighting should suffice.

McFishin' 10-22-2008 09:24 PM

sense I would be buying this light used, how would I determine if the bulbs need to be changed?

Kellsindell 10-23-2008 01:40 AM

i'd say change them as soon as you get it to be on the safe side, and algae happens even in the best of circumstances. also you want to make sure the fixture has fans in it to cool the ballast.

McFishin' 10-23-2008 11:10 AM

If there are no fans can I install them? Think the light is built onto a wooden canopy.

SKAustin 10-23-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellsindell (Post 148821)
i'd say change them as soon as you get it to be on the safe side.

Exactly.

And yes, you should be able to install a fan in there.

Kellsindell 10-24-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKAustin (Post 148901)
And yes, you should be able to install a fan in there.

yes, just make sure you do some reading before you begin your wirework... you might get a "shocking" surprize! lol (though it won't hurt you unless you're doing something very wrong the fans don't put out that many volts)

McFishin' 10-24-2008 11:10 PM

Lol, "shocking surprise". I'll definitely need to install fans although I'm not sure where. I'll post a picture up when I get back home in a couple days and see what you guys think!