Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Mi first encounter with white spot - HELP!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/mi-first-encounter-white-spot-help-18755/)

Gab 10-22-2008 05:40 AM

Mi first encounter with white spot - HELP!!!

Hi,

My 70 gallon community tank has 2 oscars, 2 bristlenoses, 4 siamese algae eaters, one silver shark, 1 big fat bad tempered tiget gourami (the boss!) and a few neon tetras. this morning I found white spots on the oscars and the shark, the rest of the fish are not showing any symptoms at all (yet). During the course of the day the number and visibility of spots has increased. The shark has been skittish all day, but the oscars are happy and feeding.

The oscars are about 2 inches long, I got them 2 weeks ago and they've been fine. They settled in and few enthusiastically from day one. Due to my trust in the source I didn't quarantine them.... I won't make that mistake again!

So I've hastily set up a 2-footer (11 gal) as a hospital tank. I'm using a handfull of media from the main tank's canister to seed it. I brought the temp up to match the display tank, checked pH (both tanks at 7.1), and transfered the oscars and shark to the hospital tank. Over the next few hours I raised the hospital tank's temp up to 30c/86f and dosed it with Tri-Sulfa tablet (sulfadiazine, sulfamerazine, sulfadimidine).

The display tank's remaining inhabitatnts aren't showing symptoms yet, but the problem I have is that the male bristlenose is 3 days into nursing a clutch of eggs..... this 2-footer was going to be the ultimate destinations of the fry so they wouldn't get eaten, and I'm about to set up a new 120 gallon display tank for the oscars, the 70gal was just temporary.

So, now I'm really worried about the bristlenose family. How safe is it to raise the tank's temp to 86f? (it's always kept at 78f) what about medication? will medication kill the eggs? and how about the plants? I have some really nice plants that's taken me ages to get established.... am I even on the right track? anything I've missed? (apart from stupidly not quarantining those oscars) :-(

Gab.

Kim 10-23-2008 07:35 PM

You will have to treat the entire tank as white spot is a parasitic infection and it does spend time off the fish.

I used Quick Cure and it worked well. As for the plants, I'm thinking take them out or they will be killed by the medication, and you will need to find some way to disinfect them without killing them. Can't help you with the eggs though.

okiemavis 10-24-2008 12:53 AM

The temperature should be OK, although 84 would be safer- just make sure you add extra aeration, as high temperatures will result in low dissolved oxygen.

St6_Devgru 10-24-2008 02:33 AM

Yeah you will have to be babysitting your tank until it goes away for sure...monitor them closely as they are you buddies and will need all the care they can get. Well, Good luck and I really hope your fish will be okay ;) smaller infection and diseases may unfortunately and (hopefully not) more serious conditions both in the fish and in the aquarium itself.