Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Pregnant Danio? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/pregnant-danio-18746/)

crazy4fish 10-21-2008 07:07 PM

Pregnant Danio?

hi i have a question about whether or not my danio is pregnant.

i had 4 glolight danios but 1 just died the other day so now i have 3. one of them is MUCH larger than the other two and i was wondering if it was because she is pregnant? they are all pigs but the other two are no where near as big as the one that might be pregnant. i have heard that it is easy to breed them but will they just breed on their own in a tank with other types of fish? any help is appreciated! thanks!

kritas 10-22-2008 06:01 PM

Why did you have to buy Glo-light Danio's? sorry for being so abrupt, but you do know they're genetically modified to have that tint of colour. I guess it's your choice but I feel obliged to tell you that isn't natural what they do to those poor fishies...

You'll have to post a few pics of the Danios before we'll be able to tell whats what, and whos who.

aunt kymmie 10-22-2008 06:18 PM

I think it's Danio Choprai and not Glofish that she's talking about here.
I don't think Danio Choprai is a modified genetic version of a danio, is it??

kritas 10-22-2008 08:11 PM

My mistake, i'm very very sorry...:notworthy:

iamntbatman 10-23-2008 01:24 PM

She's probably pregnant. They're fairly easy to breed, but only under the right conditions. They show absolutely zero care for their eggs or fry, so you should have a thick blanket of something like java moss on the bottom of the tank. You'll also want to avoid cleanup crew type critters - snails, shrimp, bottom dwellers - these will all eat the eggs. You'll also want to remove the parents after the eggs are laid so that they won't eat the fry.

And yes, Danio choprai (glowlight danios) are a natural species. As for the GloFish (the genetically modified zebra danios), I take much less issue with them than I do with good-old-fashioned selective breeding in order to produce deformed, unhealthy fish like pearlscale goldfish (among other fancy varieties), balloon variants and blood parrots.

crazy4fish 10-23-2008 05:19 PM

ok well first of all... yes they are the genetically modified danios, and i know that their colors are not natural. BUT in my defense i DID NOT buy them myself. my parents bought them for me as a birthday gift. :roll: i do not support people messing with the genes of fish and poking them with needles to insert colors in them :-? and i would not have bought them myself.

any way back to the main topic... about how long does it take for the females to lay the eggs after they get pregnant? i think it would be really cool to have the babies survive,:-) but they wont if the parents lay them in the tank. i would have to put her in a breeder box but i dont want to put her in too early and stress her out. :| what should i do? BTW i have never bred egg laying fish before, only livebearers so i am new to the whole thing.:roll:

iamntbatman 10-23-2008 11:23 PM

They don't poke the fish with needles! All of the genetic modification happens to the eggs, and the fish that exist now are probably generations distant from those that originally had their DNA altered by humans.

I'm not sure how long the gestation period is. My females pretty much always look pregnant. The female can't be put in a breeder box though, since the males have to fertilize the eggs as she lays them.

okiemavis 10-25-2008 12:19 AM

They are bred just like normal fish nowadays- they just glow under blacklights. Not my kinda fish, but nothing cruel like tattooed fish.

They are also copyrighted, and can only be bred/sold by the company which owns the rights. They send my LFS fish with bent spines and other genetic issues, feeder guppies mixed in their bags, etc, every time. Very poor breeding standards.