Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   I need help?? Edward has issues.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/i-need-help-edward-has-issues-18743/)

fae493 10-21-2008 06:23 PM

I need help?? Edward has issues....

My betta (edward) is having problems... I think hes sick or something... He doesnt want to eat and all he does is lay around and wont swim... Its like he cant stay afloat and I dont know what else to do.. He doesnt look sick, but hes sure acting it.

Help???

Little-Fizz 10-22-2008 06:15 AM

When you say he can't stay afloat, what do you mean? Like he is unbalanced and it could be a swim bladder disorder? Or he just won't get up from the bottom?

How big is the tank/ bowl and what are the parameters? Do you have a heater and a filter? How often are water changes preformed and how much water is changed?

Sounds like it could be poor water quality.

fae493 10-22-2008 06:40 PM

I have a 5 gallon tank, the parameters are perfect, i change the water like every other week, and yes, i have a heater and filter and everything...

He tries to swim, but its like he just sinks back to the bottom... or sometimes he just wont get up at all...

kritas 10-22-2008 07:12 PM

I figured it out! I think lol... Perhaps the filters current is to strong for him to move? and it may be thrusting him down to the bottom... Just a guess

fae493 10-22-2008 07:35 PM

No. He CANNOT SWIM! he cant stay afloat

hes just laying on his side and he cant float

Kim 10-22-2008 08:21 PM

Sounds like swim bladder disorder. It can be caused by a genetic disorder, injury, constipation, internal parasites, or internal bacterial infections. If it is caused by constipation, then fasting and feeding some thawed daphnia should help. Internal parasites/bacterial infections require medications. if it is caused by injury you will just have to wait it out and see if it heals.

If Edward is having a hard time swimming you should probably lower the water level so that it is easier for him to breathe (they need air from the surface) or if he is totally unable to rise maybe gently place him on a flat and smooth plant near the surface.

I would do some research on internal parasites and internal bacterial infections to see if this may be the cause. Also be on the lookout to see if he is pooping at all. Hope this helps.

fae493 10-22-2008 08:39 PM

I do have an airstone, so breathing shouldnt be a big issue... I havent seen him eat or do ANYTHNG in days... I havent done anything different since i got him, why would he have parasites or an infection??

Kim 10-23-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fae493 (Post 148795)
I do have an airstone, so breathing shouldnt be a big issue... I havent seen him eat or do ANYTHNG in days... I havent done anything different since i got him, why would he have parasites or an infection??

An airstone is good, but bettas also need to breathe from the surface. When did you get him, and how soon after did he start showing symptoms? Pet store bettas can have anything you can think of, but bacteria is everywhere and anytime a fish is stressed their ammune system goes down and they are more susceptable.

fae493 10-24-2008 05:19 PM

I got him back in june.... and he just started doing this four days ago.... But its too late... edward died about 15 minutes ago...

okiemavis 10-25-2008 01:18 AM

Sorry to hear...although do you know how old he was? It kinda sounded like old age actually